Leaving Germany

Guys and Gals, as everyone is leaving Germany i was told a story of a Base (don’t know which) that was handed back to the Germans a few years ago. The story goes that the Germans wouldn’t accept it in the state it was and said they wanted the buildings repaired and all the HAZMAT removed from the site before they would accept it. You get the picture.

Once this had been done and the keys were handed over the Germans moved in and just leveled the whole site. Is this true or just a good story ??

In Bracht we took down the fences and signs that surronded the "chemical venting ground" before the site visit.

IIRC the whole area became a nature reserve and park........but I'd think twice before putting a blanket on the ground for a picnic!

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
Guys and Gals, as everyone is leaving Germany i was told a story of a Base (don’t know which) that was handed back to the Germans a few years ago. The story goes that the Germans wouldn’t accept it in the state it was and said they wanted the buildings repaired and all the HAZMAT removed from the site before they would accept it. You get the picture.

Once this had been done and the keys were handed over the Germans moved in and just leveled the whole site. Is this true or just a good story ??

I doubt it was the Germans, more likely some bitter and twisted cunt of an estate manager.

B

Biscuits_AB

It's a really good story and not the sort of thing that a genuine squaddie would be asking, so publish and be damned.

(Base? So American/civvy who hasn't quite grasped the lingo yet)

Sounds no worse than a standard issue MQs march out.

It's a really good story and not the sort of thing that a genuine squaddie would be asking, so publish and be damned.

(Base? So American/civvy who hasn't quite grasped the lingo yet)
Base/Camp whats the diffrence, oh and i did my 22 you knob did you ??

Other tales of stupidity from der vaterland are the ex 28 sigs barracks at St Tonis, understand that as it was built over the boundary of two stadts, ie half in one half in other, neither can decide what to do with it and currently rotting in the sun/rain (my first BAOR posting), other is the ex 16 & 7 sigs barracks in Krefeld. Prior to UK occupation was a full blown panzer bks (complete with underground panzers etc), but had POL contamination. Stadt said clean it up, BAOR said contam here when we arrived, again currently rotting away with a single civ guard in the guard room.

What I want to know is who is painting the kerbstones?

The story goes that the Germans wouldn’t accept it in the state it was and said they wanted the buildings repaired and all the HAZMAT removed from the site before they would accept it.
I suspect its a good story, but not true. Barracks are handed back to the federal government vacant under the terms of the SOFA. Visiting forces generally comply with German environmental law, so cleaning up hazardous waste would be expected. No need to bring buildings up to any standard for handover; the Germans get them as they are when vacated.

I suspect its a good story, but not true. Barracks are handed back to the federal government vacant under the terms of the SOFA. Visiting forces generally comply with German environmental law, so cleaning up hazardous waste would be expected. No need to bring buildings up to any standard for handover; the Germans get them as they are when vacated.
Thank you Bob, well it was a goodish story

That must have been the most boring story I've ever heard about squaddies serving in Germany.

I believe there was one nightmare barracks in Dortmund which would fit the bill.

The listed building status is no guarantee that it will be retained, in Bielefeld a barracks was handed back, after the last SDR debacle, which still had stable blocks from the time of the Kaiser. My mates office there, freezing cold, big wooden badly fitted doors, cobbled floor, iron ring in the wall, big stone water trough next to his desk, could not be improved, heated or insulated as it was listed. The Germans moved in and tore the lot down!

Latest Threads