Leaving Germany

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Tuffty, Mar 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys and Gals, as everyone is leaving Germany i was told a story of a Base (don’t know which) that was handed back to the Germans a few years ago. The story goes that the Germans wouldn’t accept it in the state it was and said they wanted the buildings repaired and all the HAZMAT removed from the site before they would accept it. You get the picture.

Once this had been done and the keys were handed over the Germans moved in and just leveled the whole site. Is this true or just a good story ??

2. Sounds par for the course....:)

3. Harden barracks in Obernkirchen was flattened and only the NAAFI remained as it was listed, was that the one?

4. In Bracht we took down the fences and signs that surronded the "chemical venting ground" before the site visit.

IIRC the whole area became a nature reserve and park........but I'd think twice before putting a blanket on the ground for a picnic!

• Like Like x 3
  5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I doubt it was the Germans, more likely some bitter and twisted cunt of an estate manager.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Good reply, your prob right though

7. It's a really good story and not the sort of thing that a genuine squaddie would be asking, so publish and be damned.

(Base? So American/civvy who hasn't quite grasped the lingo yet)

8. Sounds no worse than a standard issue MQs march out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Base/Camp whats the diffrence, oh and i did my 22 you knob did you ??

10. No you didn't.

11. Wow 22,539 posts and that is all you can come up with. Are you just trying to reach 23,000 posts or do you have anything worth while to say or you just gobbin off like the tosser you are ??

12. That does actually sound like a 22 year man to me!

13. Anyone else find the civvy estate managers appeared to have been trained by Hitler?

14. Joined at 16 left at 40 so a bit more than 22 years and according to my Red Book 23 years and 60 days. Where did the time go ?

15. Other tales of stupidity from der vaterland are the ex 28 sigs barracks at St Tonis, understand that as it was built over the boundary of two stadts, ie half in one half in other, neither can decide what to do with it and currently rotting in the sun/rain (my first BAOR posting), other is the ex 16 & 7 sigs barracks in Krefeld. Prior to UK occupation was a full blown panzer bks (complete with underground panzers etc), but had POL contamination. Stadt said clean it up, BAOR said contam here when we arrived, again currently rotting away with a single civ guard in the guard room.

What I want to know is who is painting the kerbstones?

• Like Like x 1