Leaving Army Reserve

Ok so it looks like I'll be having a change of civi career come March 2015. This new company have made it clear Army Reserve is not compatible with role, so my question is what's the protocol on leaving (reluctantly) any notice periods required? Or is it a case of just saying ta ta here's your kit back and sign off? Will be sorry to go though as loved nearly every minute since going back as a ex-reg rejoiner.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
I emailed my PC, CSM, PSAO & SPSI of my intentions, sent a formal letter of resignation to my OC and called the CQMS to confirm best time to hand in kit. Some blokes just hand their kit in, usually after a lengthy absence..

Ok so it looks like I'll be having a change of civi career come March 2015. This new company have made it clear Army Reserve is not compatible with role, so my question is what's the protocol on leaving (reluctantly) any notice periods required? Or is it a case of just saying ta ta here's your kit back and sign off? Will be sorry to go though as loved nearly every minute since going back as a ex-reg rejoiner.
Consider going on the unposted list. You never really know how the new job will go, so it pays not to burn your bridges- especially if this is something you enjoy.

Consider going on the unposted list. You never really know how the new job will go, so it pays not to burn your bridges- especially if this is something you enjoy.
Firstly thanks to both for quick reply. I am a bit gutted to be leaving, I wish I had got involved sooner after leaving regs in 2008. I'm not familiar with the unposted list..what's that?? I want to make sure I leave correctly and pay the necessary respect for sure.

Firstly thanks to both for quick reply. I am a bit gutted to be leaving, I wish I had got involved sooner after leaving regs in 2008. I'm not familiar with the unposted list..what's that?? I want to make sure I leave correctly and pay the necessary respect for sure.
Your PSAO will be better informed than I, but basically you come off the books with your unit, with neither deployment, nor training commitments, but stay on an inactive list with Glasgow.

It means if you want back in it's just a matter of finding a PID for you. I think!

Last edited:
Isn't the unposted list for commissioned officers only though ? I don't know what rank the OP is obviously but the usual process for leaving is to just vanish, wait for three letters asking where the heck you have vanished too then pitch up one parade night with most of your kit and dump it in the troopies office. Celebratory or commiseratory drinks may follow in the bar, assuming there is still a bar and your unit hasn't been elbowed out of the way by an incoming unit.

Woops sorry, tangent wobble.

Your PSAO will be better informed than I, but basically you come off the books with your unit, with neither deployment, nor training commitments, bit stay on an inactive list with Glasgow.

It means if you want back in it's just a matter of finding a PID for you. I think!
Right I'll do that then. A quick check on Google showed you can go on the unposted list if 'civilian life takes over'.

Thanks for the info much appreciated. It's not a certainty at this stage if I'll get the job anyway.

However you do it, I suggest you keep your options open. Your new post may not last - for whatever reason - or your employers may even have a change of heart when they realise what a star player you are.

It's a darned sight easier to leave than re-join, and I suspect your unit find your regular experience useful.

That said, I went 20-odd years ago and things are a tad different, I understand.

The unposted list.......
03.54 The Unposted List. The Army Reserve Unposted List is a holding unit for SP who are
between assignments or who are unable, temporarily, to give full commitment to the Army Reserve.
As will other Reserve assignments an application is required from the SP to move to either List A or
List B.
a. Unposted List A (UPL(A)) Is a short term list for SP in-between assignments
which acts as a unit against which the UPL(A) PID is held. CM Branches are to apply
for PIDs to be created on receipt of applications. SP are assigned to UPL(A) for up to
12 months and notionally attached to a Army Reserve unit for purposes of training and
bounty earning purposes. UPL(A) is not to be utilised as a ‘shadow’ establishment and
the list of individuals assigned to UPL(A) will be reviewed biannually by CMs. SP who
have not found a suitable assignment or entered permanent service, mobilised FTRS
or ADC by the end of the maximum authorised period on List A are to be assigned to
List B, resign or retire, be discharged or transfer to RARO Class 2.

b. Unposted List B (UPL(B)). A medium term, unfunded, list for assignment lasting
up to 24 months for SP temporarily unable to fulfil training obligations, who wish to
continue service and intending to resume their commitment at a later date. No training
can be undertaken whilst assigned there. It should be utilised as an alternative to
overbearing particularly if the period of overbearing is likely to exceed 6 months, or it is
considered inappropriate by the CO or Employing Officer (EO). In this case the CO/EO
may apply to CM Branches for the SP to be assigned to the UPL(B) in order to retain
them prior to a subsequent assignment