leaving a tour early

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Odloem78, Jul 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know of any TA personnel who have left a tour early? I know reservists can leave early but can TA personnel if they have a good reason? Thanks for your help!
  2. This seems like a very precisely targetted first post! A simple response would be that, short of "something" effecting th individual that makes it impossible or extremely undesirable for him/her to continue in theatre, tours would only be cut short for compassionate reasons. The good reason you cite above would have to be a very strong good reason for a unit to countenance losing a member of its deployed capability.
  3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

It would depend on the reason, but i would say it would have to be a VERY good reason, wrong a VERY VERY good reason.
    You are under the exact same terms and conditions as the regs, you cannot just say "i want to go home sgt major". One of my mates had his car firebombed while his fiance was at home but only got home for a short leave.

The ones we lost mainly went for compassionate reasons* such as problems at home, although one individual proved himself more trouble then he was worth so basically got sacked. Dont expect much sympathy from your mates either, no matter your reason. There is liekly to be a perception that you are jacking unless it is absolutely cast iron...

*One went home on compassionate and decided not to come back, the other was referred to a mental health team on return...
  4. I don't know if this qualifies, but I know of a person that jacked because they army would not match their civvy wages on the grounds that they had jacked their civvy job in and could not prove earnings. However despite volunteering for mobilisation, they were not "in theatre" when it occurred. Oh, and people have been sent home for being psychologically unsound/not being able to cope.
  5. It's a good question, as Regulars cut short their tours to attend courses. Presumably (?) the same facility is available for TA if the course date is close to the end of the tour.
  6. Its amazing how many Senior Ranks seem to land a course during a tour :wink:

I think there is the same facility for TA, can't see why not, however in my day of total TA volunteers you were expected to do your time as you voluntered, however with the amount of mobilisations I can't see that approach holding water.

However bear in mind its often down to role, tasking and people at the top, mate of mine was refused to go home after his kids where taken into care believe itor not
  7. Normally if you are sh*te at the job you are doing then you can get binned. I've seen some bad ones who have been promoted to a rank way beyond their operational capability. Its not fair on the individual and it gives a bad impression of the TA in general!
  8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Knew a TA chef (only just traded) who lasted 29 days in theatre (Iraq) before being sent to Germany for assaulting an LEC with a pork chop and then scrapping with the RMPs who had come to deal with the aforementioned pork chop incident.

Next saw him in Hohne at the end of my tour just before going on to UK for demob. Apparently he'd sat around in Germany for 5 months (earning LSSA all the while) waiting to be charged! He left with us for Chilwell and boasted to me about how his 29 days in theatre would get him his campaign medal. I asked him if he didn't feel embarrased or ashamed in any way. He had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.
  9. Going mad helps.Medical problems as well .Serious problems at home maybe .Why do you want to leave anyway.Unless youre
    sent home on a stretcher or family have died your jacking it.
  10. I know of a couple of people who have managed just over 30 days in theatre, before being either moved sideways, and away from the conflict, or sent back to the Uk to a holding platoon for the duration of their tour.

Strangely, both of them were awarded their respective medals, wear them on their 2's, yet are reluctant to mention that 1st Person - He was moved from the conflict area for being a complete chopper (this didnt change for the rest of his career, which thankfully now, appears to be over!) and 2nd person - He was caught outa few times faking injury to avoid patrols/duties, and eventually was shipped back to the UK for surgery on the infection that he had got by gleefully rubbing poo into a spot.

Pair of nobs, the 2 of them.....And sadly, both TA. Both the kind of people that give us a bad name.
  11. Try putting your shreddies on your head, sticking two pencils up your nostrils and saying "wibble".
  12. Try growing a fecking spine!

If you have a genuine reason, ie you cannot physically/mentally continue your role in theatre then yes!

If you are looking for sorry arrsed excuses to slope off home, because you cant hack it then no!

I would be absolutely gutted to leave my muckers in the firing line, while i got to go home. Even if i had a genuine reason.
  13. I remember him at RTMC - especially on the range day. Since he couldn't close one eye to fire the DS had the great idea of using a FFD covering one eye up. He looked like a WW1 tommy after the effects of mustard gas!
  14. Why should he?

It's not as if he was working his ticket and did it in order to get sent home. And more importantly, it's funny.
  15. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I guess you had to know him to hate him. A mate of mine was killed while Pte F***nuts was swanning around in Hohne Garrison, so maybe I wasn't in the the right frame of mood to appreciate the 'humour' in hearing him bragging about how he'd still 'earned' his medal.