Leaving a job to join the military

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by adam_c, Feb 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I was just wondering what the rules are about when you have to leave your current job in order to join any of the armed forces? i.e. is there a certain point into recruitment where you should probably be unemployed in order to progress?

If anybody could inform me of what the standard rule is across all three services i would be really grateful.

Cheers!

2. As long as you are always at the right place at the right time for interviews, medicals etc, then do what the **** you like before you join up.

3. other than having completed any notice period before you are required to report for training , it is as legs suggests entirely up to you what you do pre-entry.

4. He doesn't even need to do that, he can walk away from his civvy company when he wants.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Most civvy firms require you to give 30 days notice. Trust me, you will get far longer than that between the 'You're In' message and 'You are Hereby Ordered to Report on this day to.....'

• Like Like x 1
  6. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

If you have a decent and sympathetic boss, tell him you are joining the Army, BUT WAIT until you have a job offer then tell him and ask how much notice he/she would like.
    Ffs dont tell anyone until you know you are in. Use your days
    off for interviews, fitness, barb test etc etc. That way if you don't get in only you will know.
    If you work for horrible bosses then if you get a job offer, go when you want, use your leave days up to your limit and go and do what you want. Just make sure you dont stitch yourself up by talking about it or putting it on facebook for your employer to see.
    Also you should be aware of the notice period between you and your employer, they have to abide with it just like you do, unless you do something daft and they fire you for misconduct.
    I'm rambling again so i will just wish you good luck

Sent by Crapatalk. Sitting on my bog having a dump.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Don't do it!!! Join the TA first ;)

8. Thanks guys!

You've all cleared that up for me!

9. Not always the case, I had 18 days notice before I started.

Considering that once you have passed main board you can defer yourself to a later entry, there really is no need to be unemployed until you choose to join up.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Based upon the assumption that the OP believes he will succeed then as little notice as you need, after all the civvy scum wont be worthy of you after 5 minutes running around the gym will they?
    Be sensible, do what you have to but dont shit on your own doorstep, you may even enjoy the leaving do!