Leave in the Republic of Ireland

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Purple_Flash, Jul 27, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Are there any other Irishmen here totally pissed off with having to ask permission weeks in advance to go home and having to say where you will be, where you will enter and leave and when and who you will be staying with?  It hardly makes for a relaxing holiday.  It seems to me that it might be (and I stress the "might", I am not a lawyer) to be a rule that would not stand up if challenged in court.  Not allowing a citizen of a country to enter that country?  An interesting thought in these days of unrestricted movement in the EU.  It is vastly easier for an illegal immigrant to get to Dublin than it is for me!

I'd like to make the blighters who enforce this rule without thought submit a detailed application weeks in advance before visiting their parents/girlfriend etc. in deepest Berkshire - then they might just see why it pisses us off no end and probably causes many people to sign off.  This is supposedly a positive security issue - actually it's a negative retention issue.

And before some supposed wit poses the question as to why the Army needs Irishmen, let me pre-empt you: Wellington, Alanbrooke, Montgomery... need I go on?

2. It's for your own good old boy.....probably!  Easiest way around it is just to come home anyway.  And do you honestly stick by the timetable you submitted prior to leave?  Not that I ever did mind you.  For fear of playing devils advocate on this one, is it not for a good reason?  Read in the press of another young Catholic police recruit forced out of his home over the weekend.  As for it being a negative retention issue; it's an unfortunate fact that while some element of risk remains for the likes of ourselves, certain restrictions and precautions need to be taken.  As much as we may be living in a golden age of peace and reconcilliation over here  :-/  ???, the fact remains that the bogey men are still out there. "They haven't gone away you know"  Interesting point about it going to court mind.  Not sure what way that one would go.

3. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

I know what you mean Foggy, but I am very unlikely to get drunk in a pub, stand up, proclaim that I'm in the British Army and politely inquire whether or not anyone would like to indulge in fisticuffs!  That sort of stuff is rather frowned upon in my Club at any rate...

But it does pose an ethical question if, as I believe, most people have to do what I do, which is to give very vague/misleading info as to where I may be (I mean who knows three weeks in advance where and when a party might spring up?).  I, and I am sure many others, are forced to lie due to army regulations on a regular basis!  

Loads of people at home know what I do - and they respect the whys and wherefores, after all it is almost expected that Southern protestants will join the British Army rather than the Irish Army.  I know where and how to be safe, so give us a break and treat us like adults!

Rant over...

Now, where is that glass of proper whiskey... none of that Scot's muck?  :)

4. Appartantly before the end of the Troubles they used to inform the Gardai and a discrete watch would be kept on your house occasionally.. .depending on where you lived etc

5. The Gardai are still watching his house eight years later?

6. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Although what you say may be true, someone somewhere knows, walls have ears old bean!! Stay Safe, Not Dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. I meant that they do more frequent patrols in the area just incase