Leave from Sandhurst

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by whodat, Jan 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question for those in the know....

When at RMAS how many weeks of leave do you get between terms? I realise that between the 2nd and 3rd terms that you will be away for at least one of those weeks on the adventurous training expedition, but how about terms 1 and 2 and also between finishing RMAS and joining your regiment/corps?

Also during terms 2 and 3 are you able to leave at weekends?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Can't claim to be "in the know", not having made it as far a RMAS yet, but the Army's spiel about the commissioning course (on the website I believe) refers to a 3 or 4 week break between each of the three terms, of which 1 week is spent adventure training (1st term break)/ expedition (2nd term break).
    As for leave weekends there is rather less info floating around. As far as I can tell from speaking to a few officer cadets there are designated leave weekends distributed throughout the terms, other weekends you are to remain at Sandhurst.

With any luck someone with rather more experience of these matters will be along to clarify. Hope that was of some help though.
  3. Short answer? Shite, simples.

Long answer:

The actual amount of leave varies between terms and intakes. Very rarely you will get three weeks of leave at the end of term but mostly its just two.

The exped etc. can hardly be called leave since you are forced to go on sometimes ridiculous courses (are soldiers ever interested in going hillwalking with the Pl Comd? I mean really?). 1st Tip, get your mountain leader qualification before you go. That way you up your chances of getting on an enjoyable course like skiing.

As for weekends, you are supposed to get three in a term. But because exercises are planned around a few of them I only got two a term. Which sucked. Dont count on a long weekend either, you leave on a friday late afternoon and should get back sunday evening. Otherwise some jumped up duty cadet will try to have your guts for garters. For those of the northern or Jock persuasion this results in spending a day at home and 16 bloody hours comuting! 2nd tip, book flights well before hand to save dough and be sure to tell your DS so you can leave early!

Good Company DS can ease this problem but its very much dry your eyes sunshine generally. Which is as it should be.
  4. I am starting Sandhurst in May, and will slighly tag into this question. My sister is getting married on the 21st of August and I am desperate to attend (mostly because my family will kill me if I don't).

1) Is it normal for OCdts to attend weddings, or do you have to ask for special permission?
    2) Can I wear dress uniform?

edit: Sanguis - Have you done your Mountain Leader Qualificaton, and if so; any tips?
  5. Do you think youll have a 'dress uniform' after 3 months?
  6. You wont get any chicks that way exwing. Its like wearing your school uniform in a case like yours!!!
  7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

You're in for a bit of a rude awakening when you meet up with your real soldiers.

You will be expected to organise and run expeditions of verious types, hill walking is one of them.
  8. 21st of August will most likely see you on AT or if your lucky just finishing it so theres a reasonable chance of you getting to the wedding. On no account wear your Blues you'll look stupid in your crappy plastic belt and ill fitting hat also they are not in the least bit comfortable. Go fro CEFO the girls will love it.
  9. Leave is as follows:

between Winter & Spring usually 3 weeks
    between Spring & Summer 3 weeks
    between Summer & Winter 4 weeks

At the end of your first term you will have to do an AT course (usually one working week ie Mon - Fri inclusive) during this period and at the end of your second term run or participate in an EXPED (min 5 days doing the activity and then travel to/from at either end).

The Wedding on 21 Aug will be during the break between Summer & Winter term.
  10. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Whilst at Sandbags, I wrote to my Company Commander requesting special leave to attend a similar event. As long as you are pragmatic (i.e. it does not fall on something really, really important on the training calendar) you should be fine.

Do not expect much time though, I was allowed to go with just enough time to get there and was expected back at First Parade the next day.

Good Luck.
  11. Thanks for the reply and info everyone. It's useful to know as it's hard to tell from the literature and website about weeknd leave. thanks!
  12. Serve to lead hey

11 out of 10 soldiers (if ever asked) would love to go to a lodge in Bavaria or the Nufield Trust at Indie or up to Cultybraggen for a week walking rather than getting f*cked around in Camp.

The problem is some of their junior commanders are to busy sorting their next individual skiing trip

Serve to Lead hey :roll: :roll:
  13. Fixed that for you :D

I can see what your saying but I wouldn't have went hillwalking with either of my Pl Comds when I was a Jock. Sack that for a laugh. Now someting interesting, yeah, but not bloody hillwalking.

Seriously though an individual skiing trip would be rubbish. :roll:

Not much you can say about MLT really. It's a bit like going on exercise but without all the dirty muddy fun. Luckly its replaced with drunken fun on the night/s out! Just make sure you go to.... (Indefatigueable?) In Anglesea. Ripon is rubbish at the best of times.
  14. Oh you’re a miserable f*cking Jock, everything becomes clear and why do I have no problem believing that you live by that motto :wink:

The Northern Adventure training centre was at York when I was a lad (and that was an awesome night out), however, Ripon must have changed, when I was stationed there the Market Square was packed with pubs.

Is that the same Indie as the one I mentioned :roll:
  15. I should have ensured that I made that amendment clearer.

I'm just not a fan of Ripon on general principals. I never went there for MLT, just saw it on the list of potential venues. It is great on the piss though. Northern Birds can be filthy!

EDIT: Naturally Jocks aren't Northern.