Leave Bush alone, Geldof warns stars

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Agent_Smith, Jun 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Finally he has managed to make a coherent thought !

The last two points highlighted, just confirm exactly what i think of the reasons behind stars hatred of authority and the French hatred of W and the american way of life.

2. "top recording artist" ..... perhaps the Crazy Frog ?.
  3. Lesser ‘pop stars’ should feel humble and privileged to have intellects like Messrs Hewson and Geldof inform their thinking and that of the ‘ordinary people’.

Billy Bragg? Fifteen minutes in the army and fifteen minutes of cult (is that a typo?) nearly thirty years ago does not a wise man make.

Mmm. Geldof used ‘empirically’. ‘Demonstrably’ would have been less arrsey and understood by his target audience.
  4. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Ask jumped up pop stars to leave Bush alone....isn't that like asking a mouse to rape an elephant?
  5. Geldof has his failings, who of us hasnt, but I have to admit a certain grudging respect for him. He has done more to highlight the global issues of poverty and hunger than any other government, organisation or individual.
    Whether his ideas are right or not, at least he has bought the problem to the fore and got us all thinking about it.
    Did anyone see the first episode of his new TV series last night? It made a refreshing change for someone to focus on the positive aspects of Africa and its culture. The doctor who conducts bone grafts onto humans from camels and goats was a revelation.
  6. mysteron

I don't diss Geldof for what is a noble cause. Some of his methods could be better (the beauty of 20/20 hindsight). However, my point remains that to try and tell a bunch of pop stars who believe that they can sort out the world's problems with a cheery song, then sit back and drink pink gins to leave George Dubya alone isn't going to work.

Naive? I think so.
  7. I'm begininning to wonder if "Team America" wasn't a glimpse into the future.
  8. A man should never be criticised for speaking the truth. Would it be better for him to keep quiet and not acknowledge the good work that is being done by western governments? He has a proven ability to influence people, both within and without the music industry.
    Many people are driven by high ideals, and just to dismiss someones efforts on the grounds that they are a highly paid musician seems a trifle uncharitable.
  9. mysteron

Sandmanfez, It is not dismissing someone because they are an overpaid pop star that grates. It is the oh, I must do it in order to be seen and then sell more of my records camp that bothers me. Hence, I don't diss Geldof, but I am yet to be convinced as to the motives of many of the others.

It is all to easy to jump on a bandwagon scream and holler about the nastiness of George Dubya and then sink back to their privileged lifestyle. (If you can get one, fair play, just don't tell everyone else about it).
  10. Bobby G has been less than impressive for the most part, the channel crossing idea, "one million to edinburgh" and the "rock up to the london gig, we'll have more tickets" ideas have shown him to be unable to think through the consequences of his actions. Nice idea, pity it was Bob Geldorf that had to organise it.
  11. I was not trying to be deliberately antagonistic Mysteron, and I fear you are probably right about the majority of artists being self-serving, but then aren't we all? Like many people, I contribute fairly generously to various charities, but its not an entirely selfless act, as it does help somewhat to expiate the guilt I feel at living a life of privilege and relative luxury. Hopefully though, my contribution will make some difference regardless of my motives.
  12. mysteron

Fairy muff sandmanfez. Point taken. Thats your choice and we exist in an environment that supports that.

My problem is cynicism.
  13. I'm all for what he is tryng to do, but surely, like my bank manager keeps telling me, i'm th eone who got into debt and need to look at my organisation and spending habits!

I'm all for wiping the debt, but what is being done to ensure it doesn't happen again!

14. mysteron

AAAAh, this is the crux of the problem see. Write off debt, have money to buy arms and continue genocidal wars like what we have been doing for hundreds of years and ain't never gonna stop. So if we keep a lid on the buggers then we don't have to get deployed en masse to sweep up another of the world's problems. Too difficult see, costs us twice, not economically viable. Especially when we enforce ban on smoking and don't have the tax revenue.