Leave applications required to miss a weekends training!!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by certa-cisco, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It has just come to light that if a soldier from a certain Signal Squadron in the East Midlands, wishes to miss a training weekend, they will have to apply for leave from the Squadron OC.

His comments are along the lines of "They are part-time employees so need to apply for leave to miss a weekends training"

Is this legal? and if you fail to "book leave" will you be classed as AWOL.

Does this also mean that the One Army is now up and running and fully integrated, so medical, dental, leave, housing and pension will all follow, or is this just an Arrse OC, trying to bring in his (lack of) Civvy Job skills into the TA.
  2. Cow

Cow LE

Are you not only on duty when you arrive at work? (I don't know how the TA works). Therefore if your not there you can't be AWOL as you haven't arrived?
  3. This is tripe. In the USA a National Guardsman can be awol for missing a weekend but NOT in the UK.
    As you say, we have a different contract to the regular army and the terms and conditions are different. Once you have arrived at the TAC and are being paid I imagine it is a different matter ie you cant go home halfway through a weekend or a camp without permission.
  4. lets hope my oc doesnt read this. it will be another thing to ruin the sqn with. he already takes a bitch when nobody turns up to the weekends. this will make him an even more power hungry little arrse
  5. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

No of course not (the AWOl bit). Of course the Squadron is perfectly entitled to ask who's planning to attend the weekend and even to ask those who are not to give a reason. However I do not believe they can enforce this and they certainly can't make people "book leave".

I believe it's already been established that we are not legally classed as part-time employees. If we were then we'd have all the rights that go with that classification - which we don't...
  6. Your OC is talking balls.
    The TA is a voluntary service and you don’t have to turn up to drill nights or weekends if you don’t want to.
    All your OC can do about it is discharge you if your attendance gets too low.

- edited for mongness
  7. Yep, seconded.

Your OC has gone do-laly-tap.

I'm thinking about ditching TA and spending more time on BF2... much more enjoyable.

8. Its probably because he's done his JPA training & wants people within the TA to actually use the system & make him feel important.
  9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Indeed, he's as out of his tree as the CO who tried to enforce compulsory weekends - entirely outwith the Regs, and just not permitted.

If this nonsense continues, please get someone to PM me and I will put you directly in touch with the people who will push him right back in his box!

Edited to add: this sort of stuff happens regularly, I'm afraid. Why can't COs and OCs (or even better, PSAOs) be given a little aide-memoire, explaining to them what the can and cannot do as regards Training and Attendance? Such things as - compulsory attendance is neither allowable nor acceptable; that the TA is 'casual labour' - and that this cuts both ways. The Army don't have to provide Training, and Soldiers don't have to turn up.

Agree with all other posters - that OC is a tosser, and what's more an ignorant one - ignorant of regulations that he is meant to know about!
  10. aaaaagh!

Retention, Retention, Retention.....

People have got to WANT to come in.
  11. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

It's probably a sign of the times.... :roll:
  12. If he carries on like that, the whole lot will simply book themselves on permanent leave.
  13. msr

msr LE

No, it is the sign of a tosspot.

14. I think this should be treated as rumour mongering as there is no mention of the TA unit. As has been said by others there is NO requirement for TA personnel to book leave if they don't intend to train. It would be nice to let people know if you are coming in or not which would allow for planning etc.
  15. edit to keep out of trouble
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.