Leatherman

A

aflyinghaggis

Ouch, yestarday I was cutting into something with a Victorinox swiss army knife and almost lost the top of my index finger when I was cutting into something when the blade folded into me! Well I want to buy a Leatherman as I realise that they have locking blades, does anyone know a good budget model and where to get it cheap?

aflyinghaggis said:
Ouch, yestarday I was cutting into something with a Victorinox swiss army knife and almost lost the top of my index finger when I was cutting into something when the blade folded into me! Well I want to buy a Leatherman as I realise that they have locking blades, does anyone know a good budget model and where to get it cheap?
Get a Leatherman Juice. Compact and stylish, ideal for the modern soldier. Plus they don't look gay at all, in their vibrant colour variety.

I've done that before, just about did my fingernail in half!

Do a search on gerber or leatherman, there was a couple of pages worth of discussion on this topic just about 2 weeks back.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd be just as careful with them - the cutting blades on a Leatherman are (or used to be, anyway) coated surgical steel - years ago when I was supporting the hardware in a dodgy call centre in manchester, my boss borrowed mine, with me warning him 'careful - it's REALLY sharp.'
five minutes later he was on his way to A&E to get his fingers sutured...

I've got one, it's pretty good overall. The pliers have a spring return in them, which is handy, the handles are chunky enough to give a good grip and the price is good for what you get.
I don't rate the pouch much that comes with it, I would reccomend getting a tougher one.

I have always been a Gerber man myself.

The PX in JHQ is the cheapest place to get one, if you are in Germany. If not, I reckon Ebay might be the way fowards.

You have to remember that Gerbers and Leathermans are good multi tools but not good knives. If you need a knife use a knife!
Most people that I know who carry a multi tool on their belts also carry a good lock knife.

Can highly reccomend this.

That's what I use

wolverine9314 said:
aflyinghaggis said:
Get a Leatherman Juice. Compact and stylish, ideal for the modern soldier. Plus they don't look gay at all, in their vibrant colour variety.
I think the Leatherman Juice leathermans (?) are really cute!! If I had one I would definately go for that because of the pretty colours!! :D

You can get swiss army knives with locking blades now.... in fact I remember seeing one in about 1990.

So you don't have to get tooled up if you don't want, just for the locking blades.

I use an old Leathermans.... I don't think it even has a name. The first model.... pliers, knife, screwdrivers and file.