Leather Jacket advice?

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by two_of_seven, Dec 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A semi-scientific question
    What is the hardest wearing leather jacket (of mainstream materials)

I understand lamb & goat are very soft &

cow & horse are stronger, can anyone advise for or against?

thanks in advance
  2. Kangaroo's supposed to be good but cowhide will see you ok. Is it for motorcycling?
  3. If you want it as protection, ie Biking leathers, go with horse or cowhide. Moosehide is very tough as well, but not that easy to get in Europe I suppose.
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

goat is probably the toughest for bike use, nowadays its all kevlar but back when it was important the toughest gloves were goatskin. they took some loosening up which wasnt a bad thing and they werent the most expensive.

nowadays its a lot of pigskin with kevlar lining. I have a feeling the issue gloves are piggy based as they can split the leather to make it super thin and it has a finer grain.
  5. pigskin is the derg's belricks with regard to wear, believe me.Nothing like it.

6. Is it for Biking?
  7. It is not for biking, more for general wear, but in a some harsher climates than UK
  8. I`ve got a goatskin leather jacket which I`ve had for more than 20 years. Tough, heavy, and nigh on indestructible. Pigskins OK for summer, but for most of the year I stick to my goatskin.
  9. Are you sure about that? :)
  10. Fairly sure, as only elk live in Scandinavia... :)
  11. I thought leather was awful when wet? If you want a tough, durable jacket you're far better off with a heavyweight Barbour wax jacket.
  12. Fairly sure there are a few Moose in the UK too. :)
  13. Well I suppose if you want to be a pedant about it, but only north of the Tweed, and they are a right bastard to skin, tan, and sew into a jacket...

• Like Like x 5
  14. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

My advice about leather jackets is simple.

Don't wear one you'll look a ****.

The fonz wore one and he's a ****, as did Bodie, Face from the A team and Don Estelle.
  15. Of course facemasks are alright.