Leather cracking Altberg Defenders?

Sorry for yet another post on Altbergs. Just curious though, are many of you who have Altberg Defenders issued finding that the leather cracks where it bends at (behind the toe)? If so, how much is it compromising the water proofness/repellency of the boots? Or is it just a matter of giving the cracks an extra treatment with leder gris?

Mine have started cracking, and I'm not sure if it's just cosmetic, or if I should get them swapped. Due to corona and the weather, I haven't used them that much in rainy/wet conditions over the past few months, but I've got a big ex coming up, where conditions are likely to be bad, and I really don't want to risk wet feet.

TamH70

MIA
Sorry for yet another post on Altbergs. Just curious though, are many of you who have Altberg Defenders issued finding that the leather cracks where it bends at (behind the toe)? If so, how much is it compromising the water proofness/repellency of the boots? Or is it just a matter of giving the cracks an extra treatment with leder gris?

Mine have started cracking, and I'm not sure if it's just cosmetic, or if I should get them swapped. Due to corona and the weather, I haven't used them that much in rainy/wet conditions over the past few months, but I've got a big ex coming up, where conditions are likely to be bad, and I really don't want to risk wet feet.

Speaking strictly as a now-layman who's never been issued Altberg boots, if they are cracking at all, I would think seriously about getting rid. I would say the same about any military footwear whose leather is falling to bits. You don't want to run the risk of a preventable foot injury due to water ingress.

Have a word in the first instance with your stores person and see what he or she says on the matter. They may be better briefed on what the boots do over a period of time.

Get another pair and take better care of them. Leather food to treat and waterproof the leather, along with a mainenance regime to check for cracks and stitching and deal with it before it becomes an issue.

Might be able to do a bit of repair work with carnauba oil and beeswax.

Last edited:
Try this. Put it on with your fingers a week or so before you go on ex. I find the warmth from your fingers helps it soak in better.

Try Neatsfoot Oil.

After all, they told us it would cure the ills of BCH, but I'm still unsure about whether to rub it into my boots, or my shins, or to drink it.

+1 for neatsfoot oil. It's reanimated more than one pair of leather boots for me. I use it as a first treatment on pretty much anything new that's made of leather, including belts and watch straps.

In_Twists

Old-Salt
If you insist on wearing them - follow above advice espesh getting them exchanged. I had boots that cracked in the same place. After a while I couldn't walk through wet grass without getting soaked feet.

But I hate them (heavy, non breathable) and have exercise boots and in camp boots.

If you insist on wearing them - follow above advice espesh getting them exchanged. I had boots that cracked in the same place. After a while I couldn't walk through wet grass without getting soaked feet.

But I hate them (heavy, non breathable) and have exercise boots and in camp boots.

The issued Altbergs are shit.

nsstab

Clanker
My sneekers eventually cracked at the sides and heel after 5 years of green stuff mixed in with a decent chunk of hiking / scrambling. The factory shop reckoned they could be saved but after 5 years I figured just get a new pair.

Boxy

GCM
My sneekers eventually cracked at the sides and heel after 5 years of green stuff mixed in with a decent chunk of hiking / scrambling. The factory shop reckoned they could be saved but after 5 years I figured just get a new pair.
Personally, if the Shop said they could repair them, I’d let them

Thought I'd better give an update. I was issued a new pair of Haix (along with lots of other gear), so no more worries about getting wet feet for the next while.

1604226127028.png