Learning Spanish

Discussion in 'Travel' started by phibeck, Dec 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can't find a better place to post this - perhaps we need a language forum?

It looks like we might be travelling to Spain regularly in the future, so I have started to learn Spanish (fourth week and still going strong!)

The resources online are wonderful - if you wonder about a verb, you can even go to YouTube, and you will find a video that describes it. Websites like BBC and SpanishDict have great courses.

A bit of background: Before moving to Norway quite a few years ago, I started to learn Norwegian by listening to Norwegian dialogues (which weren't interrupted). When I got to Norway, I continued the same tecnique by buying childrens audiobooks, and following the text in the printed book that accompanied. When I had the hang of it, I then listened to the audio books without reading at the same time. I was fluent after about a year.

Back to Spanish.

I have downloaded lots of stuff, have completed the BBC course, and am working methodically through the SpanishDict course. However, everything I have found, as regards audio dialogues, is interspered with the teacher giving explanations etc. Which is OK first time you listen, but then when you want to get up to speed you just want the dialogues.

So what I'm after is audio dialogues, but with the spanish and english in print. So I can learn the dialogue with the help of the printed text, but listen to the dialogues without interruption.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Oh, and I'm learning Spanish Spanish, not Latin American spanish.

Thanks !

2. Gringo sucio !

3. Have a look at 'Breakthrough Spanish' it has a book and 4 audio disks so you can follow in English and Spanish, both verbal and written

4. Don.t forget Spanish films - especially with Penny Cruz, though whether you will be able to listen to Spanish and read the English subtitles whilst watching her fab baps is anyone.s guess...

5. Thanks for that - found it on Amazon. You don't happen to know if the dialogues are "uninterrupted" or not do you?

One of the comments said that there was a website, but googling for Breakthrough Spanish didn't find it.

Looks promising.

6. I've tried watching spanish films on YouTube, but don't understand enough yet - so I'll have to concentrate on the boobs!

They made a Spanish version of "friends" with as a learning aid - I can almost understand that - I like the girl with the pigtails, nice and geeeky.

Extra en español 1a - La llegada de Sam - YouTube

7. Try Michel Thomas' Spanish, after just a few hours you can have a good grasp on most tenses and forms of verbs and a suprisingly large vocabulary.

8. The only real way to learn is mix with Spaniards, get yore self an au pair , they are all skint so will live in with you for £100 pw , have fun learning and tell the wife you are just putting up a work colleague.

¡Buena suerte!

• Like Like x 1
  9. I listened to the demo, and it was just what I'm not looking for unfortunatley. I'm after dialogues with no interruptions, but thank you very much for your suggestion.

Demo here: Untitled Document

10. He he - a good idea for a commercial for "Life as it should be" !

11. Sounds like your preferred method of immersion is similar to the Pimsleur method. Perhaps you should try them.

12. Thanks for that - Pimsleur is unfortunately primarily Latin America.

13. Spanish is Spanish, like English is English. Only it has to be easier to understand a Spaniard after a "Mexican" course than it is to sort Cockney, Brummie, Manc, Yorkshire, Geordie, Canuck, Aussie, Kiwi, Scotti and Welsh for someone from the US.

14. Don't be too sure, trying to understand an Andaluz speaking like Daffy Duck on speed can lead to major misunderstandings.
    Two Andaluzes came into our local and asked for Dos Weeners pofavo, and when Pere our widely travelled and hugely beer-knowledgeable barman expressed puzzlement they angrily indicated the Guiness pump! Whatever they speak down there it ain't Spanish.
    The Señora is from Burgos in the north and there they speak like you read in Quijote, but when her younger brother with his closed accent got jabbering I picked up about 50% and usually the irrelevent 50.

I live in Catalunya where at least people try to speak a correct Spanish unplagued by local idioms and quirks of speech because it is the learned second language. On the other hand we load it down with catalanisms.

Try downloading spanish TV progs. TV5 and Antenna3 will give you the local mindless stuff TVE1/2 are a bit more rigorous, lots of dubbed foreign films though.

Failing that get a lover who speaks the lingo and tell the IC Domestic you are off for classes.

But you will really only make progress when you are in country. Which part are you aiming for?

15. Thanks for suggestions - even after 4 weeks I can see that it is worth aiming for the part of the world that that particular type of Spanish is spoken. Only Spain has the vosotros form - so if I studied Mexican spanish, I wouldn't learn it. The pronunciation is different too, and a lot of the words are different between Latin America and Spain. If I have noticed that after only 4 weeks, then the differences along the line must be greater.

We intend spending some time (possibly working for a few years) either on the Southern Coast of Spain, or the Canary Islands. (This is because the work opportunities that we have is in those areas). We have been to Tenerife on holiday, liked it, and are going back next year for another holiday.

I've been in Norway for some years - and fancy a change from shoveling snow all winter! (OK OK, I know that its great skiing in the mountains in spring - we do that too!)

I found the whole Spanish version of Ugly Betty on YouTube (haven't seen the English version either - looks tripe) - but it is just too advanced for me at the moment - which is why I am after graded "uninterrupted" dialogues.

I'm listening to "Synergy Spanish" to and from work - it is really good - but because of all the explanations, yuou can only hear it once - so far anyway, there are no uninterrupted dialogues.

Great to get so much help ! Thanks