Learning how to eat soup with a knife

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by crabby, Mar 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting piece on US Army learning from Brits (oxford types) on how to stop fuzzy wuzzys ruining your tea party

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7374-2106277_2,00.html

with a very good quote:

"Sir William Francis Butler, the 19th-century British soldier, who said: “A nation that draws a demarcation between its thinking men and its fighting men will soon have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.” "

Opinions?

2. “A nation that draws a demarcation between its thinking men and its fighting men will soon have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.”

Now that Sh1ts the sh1t!!!

3. Yes great quote.... but I thought this even better.

Tricam

4. You don't HAVE to be stupid to be a professional soldier but if you are, it helps...

5. True. Some of the political stupidity will pass you by altogether, other stupidities will be accepted in an unquestioning manner and, should your residual conscience be pricked by morally or legally questionable direction, you can always take refuge in the mantra of "what do I know, I'm stupid". I suppose it prompts the question - would I rather have some form of honour and integrity whilst being stupid, or be an intelligent, adept, morally bankrupt and decidedly flexible politician? I suppose I'm too stupid to answer that really......

6. I used to be stupid but at least I wasn't corrupt or worse still misrepresenting my stupidity. Check my confidentials...the proof is there!!