Learning Arabic

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Almost_retired_not_quite, Jul 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help?

I'm looking to advance a bit further than 'Salaam Alaykum'

Is there a decent book/tape/CD/website that helps you make faltering steps in conversational Arabic (standard version)?

2. try Pimsleur Barnes and Noble audio. Got it in the states

12 CDs took it out on Telic Three dead easy to learn with it within two months could understand and hold a low level conversation with the locals.

3. I have the Linguaphone PDQ Arabic course, and I find it very easy to use. It has the added bonus of having hilarious musical interludes between the sections.

Your local library should have a selection of courses, in case you want to try before you buy.

4. If the basic arabic course is still running at Beaconsfield,why not try to get on that.Let's face it,you're probably going to spend a lot of operational time,in the region,so it might be a good move.

5. Learn your language cards.

When you are on tour, leech your interuptor. he will love teaching you, and you won't sound like the prophet Muhammed when you speak.

6. Salaam Alaykum

I speak reasonable Arabic and have tried several different self-teach courses as well as tuition and travel over the past few years. These are my thoughts:

1. Linguaphone PDQ: Beginner level. Predominantly audio with adequate written support. Easy to use/learn but teaches the Egyptian dialect. Lacks grammatical depth. However, the CDs can be used independently of the book to build up listening ability. Will allow you to have basic conversations, eg ordering food, booking a hotel.

2. Rosetta Stone: Beginner to advanced. Very expensive but supposedly the best software package there is. Obviously requires a computer. Very effective teaching technique but becomes repetitive after a while. Best for reading and listening. Will take you all the way to advanced, in depth conversation with a few years of perseverence.

3. Teach Yourself Arabic: Very comprehensive guide that will take you to an intermediate standard. Good coverage of all 4 disciplines, with good grammar coverage. Accompanying CDs are not designed to be used independently from the book, however. The first 10 units will allow you to conduct basic conversations, whilst completing the final 8 will allow you to follow newspapers, TV and talk about more advanced subjects with practice.

4. Teach yourself Arabic Conversation: beginner Audio only. No reading/writing, but will take you to a good standard of listening and speaking quite rapidly.

5. Mastering Arabic: beginner. Very Similar to Teach yourself Arabic but not quite as advanced.

6. Al-Kitaab: Designed for use in a class but can be used on your own with few problems. Comes with some superb good DVDs. Will take you to university level. Grammar led and can be slightly dry in places.

All round for a beginner i would go with teach Yourself Arabic, preferably with the Teach Yourself Arabic Conversation on the side.

Hope this helps.

Ma As-Salaama

7. Great advice.

Shukran!

8. Spot on with the 'Teach yourself Arabic'. I had it on cassette - but learned quickly the effects of fine sand on a walkman.

I still go back to it evey now and again.

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

10. Is there any financial support available for this sort of thing through AECs I wonder?

11. The AECs will get the tapes or software if you ask them.

G

12. Teach Yourself Arabic is great for getting yourself started on conversation and basic script, but assumes regular exposure to real Arabic being spoken in order to cement lessons learnt. The full Linguaphone course is the best for Modern Standard Arabic and learning the writing along with the spoken word, but will leave you sounding like the Arab equivalent of an Oxford don.

IF