Learning a new language, which one ?

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Benzoate, Jun 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently in the process of joining up (I've given in my medical forms, just waiting to hear back now) and I currently have quite a bit of spare time on my hands having just finished my college course. I am thinking of learning a new language and I want to know what do you all think would be most useful for a career in the army ? Pashto ? Arabic ?
  2. Do you want to become a linguist? You won't get much choice in what you learn if you do anyway. They're currently not teaching Arabic anymore (well, it is no longer a choice for those starting linguist training).

Learn Somali or something.
  3. No, I'm not going for a linguist. I just thought I have some spare time so might as well make some use of it.
  4. Good idea, I need something to look good on my CV. I suppose you're going to have be self-taught?
  5. Gibberish.
  6. Yeh, Rosetta Stone or something similar. I do have a language school near me though so I might go there if they had the language I decide to do.
  7. The problem with learning languages for operational use is the time it takes to train someone up to the sufficient level, means that we're not always in the place that uses the language by the time you're done!
  8. Unless you put the language to use it will be pretty pointless exercise, no recognisable qual, and no desire to keep on top of it, if you are into mountaineering/climbing and want to get around the alps/pyrenees with less hiccups, then that is a reason to learn a language. Or general travel.

Learn to juggle instead, its very relaxing.
  9. welsh english as i cannot understand a ******* word they say.
  10. Good idea.. Rosetta is used by NASA too.
  11. Any language that you learn will be beneficial to you at some stage in your life. However it takes about a month of immersion training to get the basic framework of most languages and then a year or more to become really competent beyond colloquial level. Try Mandarin Chinese. I did and it is not easy. I only speak a few sentences of the heathen gibberish, but it's worthwhile just to see their faces when you speak to them in their own jibber jabber.
  12. Im just curious, what level of self taughtness would you lot achieve before putting it on your CV?
  13. Personally I wouldn't put it on my CV unless I had a bit of paper from some recognised school confirming the ability.
  14. Do I need to remove close up magic then? :wink: