Learn Pashto in 2 clicks

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by REMFQuestions, May 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ...well not exactly but the new US Field Support Modules are available for all.

CLICKY

It's an excellent resource, especially for those that have been COISTED by their Bn's.

The Field Support offers various services

* Downloadable language packs for Ipods
    * Cultural Awareness videos and testing criteria
    * Country Orientation Briefs and 'Webisodes'
    * Audio instruction in simple and effective phonetic phrases for Dari/Pashto

The website actually has this for around 25-30 countries so take a look. It's a massively useful tool.

The 15 key phrases of Pashto is particularly well put together and can be learned inside an hour.

You might never know when you need to order the ANP to "salaayee ta bendaaz*!" in Dari.

*Drop your weapon 8O

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

In terms of auditory learning that is actually quite impressive for a free resource, especially considering the scope that it covers.

I've been looking at the French part, and the way that it covers unfamiliar sounds shows some decent joined up thinking; or at least knowledge of practical linguistics.

One question though...

I thought that clicking only applied to Xhosa :?

3. :D Oh. Dear.

Who is writing your material? :jocolor:

4. msr

msr LE

No they're not: The information on the page you are attempting to access has been designated as "For Official Use Only" (FOUO). If you are on a .mil or .gov computer network and are not able to access this information, please contact us at pres.FamProject@conus.army.mil for resolution of this issue.

5. Apart from the fact I am sitting at home right now using a Vodafone Broadband connection to download and use the materials.

I can't imagine their are that many Official Use computers at Wired.Com who also have used/reviewed the software at the behest of the military. The domain name also ends in .edu which is reserved solely for academic institutions. That puts the information squarely in the public domain.

This is taken verbatim from the Terms and Conditions

6. msr

msr LE

I can't access the Polish materials. All I get is the notice I posted.

7. Must be your computer MSR as I have just accessed three separate Polish resources.

*Unfamiliar phrases for Aircrew
    *Cultural Overview
    *Unfamiliar sounds

Works for me, sorry mucker.

8. There's a small paragraph at the bottom:

I think (maybe-not-so) random parts are still Classified, I got the same message for Weapons doc in the Syrian section.

Does anyone else find it harder to read the transliteration of languages than the actual alphabet itself? I understand a lot of people who use this may not have time to learn a new alphabet, but if they had another column of the Arabic, etc. script, it would be a lot easier to know the exact pronunciation. Maybe it's only me :?

P.S. That's a bloody good find, REMF!

9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

It appears that some areas are restricted. Cordon & Search/Raid Language Guide for example, but then again I only looked from a civie linguistics perspective originally.

10. Well done RQ. Good drills.

11. Well reminded!!!

Any advice on books or audio CD's for Gulf Arabic. I picked this up alot better and have for a while been considering putting some effort into studying it.

12. The polish one will come in handy when i see my polish builders again

13. That site is bilkul tik-tak, hena?

14. such as

'No a simple barrack room is just fine'
    'Honestly, I don't mind a sandwich and a coke for lunch'
    'It's my round'
    'Friday at 1600 is fine, I'll still be at work'

15. :D It's not often I laugh out loud at something on Arrse but... :D