Learn a trade?

Hi all, I'm interested in joining the reserves, hopefully get the application done before the years done, was just wondering if I could learn a trade with the reserves? I'm just looking at units near me and seeing which would be the best fit.

Hi all, I'm interested in joining the reserves, hopefully get the application done before the years done, was just wondering if I could learn a trade with the reserves? I'm just looking at units near me and seeing which would be the best fit.
Depends what kind of trade you want!

It will take a while in the reserves, but is doable.

If it is computer/it/network stuff then the regulars will be a better bet, reserve signals isn't quite there yet.

Building, then look at the local Royal Engineers. Vehicle maintenance, try REME. Cooking/chefing then anywhere is short of chefs.

Cheers for replies, wouldn't say it was my main priority just wanting to learn something new plus joining the reserves has been in my head for a bit now.
There is a singles unit near me too, any reason why there not there yet?

Cheers for replies, wouldn't say it was my main priority just wanting to learn something new plus joining the reserves has been in my head for a bit now.
There is a singles unit near me too, any reason why there not there yet?
simply that the Trade streams ae being modernised and focus is on regulars, added to which the role is different.

Maybe see if you can have a chat with them?

RTU'd

LE
We had a Class 3 Armourer who went on Herrick and got more "hands on" experience in 6 months than they would have done in 6 years as a reserve soldier. Trade training in the reserves is ok but getting to do the job is another thing.

If you want a trade join the regulars, do 6 years plus & come out a a class 1 VM/Reccy Mech etc.
Would have C+E possibly Full ADR and a nice small pension for when you retire.

Latest Threads