Learing French

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by scousadan, Apr 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bonsoir fellow ARRSE'rs.

As you may or may not no. I have been seriously considering joining the french foriegn legion.

I know that if i am successful with my application, i'll be beasted senseless until i get a basic grasp of the language.

I shall be making the trip to paris around september. (apparently they get the most applicants in the summer months, also the heats meant to be a real killer on marches.)

So that leaves me with a few months to learn some basic french. Could someone please advise me the best way learn myself, and on the cheap aswell them language packs are scandalous.

Merci beacoup

2. Find a French girlfriend. Bon courage :lol:

3. Salut Rossbiff

They'll teach you all you need to know - vraiment...

4. Just so you know in advance, UK entrants have a much harder time of it than other nationalities.

Learning the lingo - try wtahc films with subtitles. Fun ones like Amelie might speed it up and make it more enjoyable.

5. Listen to French whilst sleeping. Tune in to a frog radio stations and read Le Figaro or La Monde and you'll be fluent within a month... probably.

6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Or you could have stuck in at school. Naturellement.

7. Just watch re-runs of Allo-allo.......................!
    You'll be perfick!

8. Nous avons pas seulement les armes..

Le diable marche avec nous

Ar ha hahahaha!

9. I think the white kepi looks nails.

That make me a Gok Wan walt.

10. My French is a bit rusty, but how about this to start off with:

"Attention corporal. Les Allemands approaches! Nous sommes run away vites!"

If nothing else should raise a few laughs and I'm sure that they all have a great sense of humour.

Failing that, follow the advice of the late, great Harry Flashman, and employ a French speaking wench to teach you the language and, ahem, cater to any other needs you may have.

11. An old friend of mine joined the Legion a while back. He is a Rhodesian and got to the rank of Cpl Chef ( or whatever it is).

He got robbed of everything in Barcelona on holiday and dogged it to Fort Nugent. Knocked on the door and did it. Now currently married and living in Paris.

A top geezer.

12. Why has the FFL been brought up today on arrse and rr?
    I am considering going as well sometime this year, just need to get a new passport sorted and I am on my way.. worth a shot if you cannot join anything else, and I see it is a respected legion by the Brit forces.

13. Why can't you join the British Army?

I didn't realise that there were other legions out there for the Brit forces to respect, what with the Roman Empire falling and all that.