Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by beanhead, Jan 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thinking of doing this course for resettlement has anyone on Arrse done it? Was it intense & is there an exam at the end? I have conducted some Lean events in my career as part of the unit Lean Transformation Team, but think it would be useful to get the qual for my CV and to add to my PRINCE2. In the current climate I feel that if you can bring new ideas to a company and save them money, then that has got to be a good thing! I am looking at going into Logistics or Project Management & maybe consultancy and would be grateful for any thoughts or advice.
  2. Have you ever read that letter that got published in Soldier with every buzzword & cliché ever in it?

Do this course and you will talk like that and expect humans to take you seriously.

Still, touch base with the resettlement enablers your end and keep us in the frame regarding your deinstitutionalisation and progress civilianwards.
  3. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

The civilian perspective...

1) I'm all for 6 Sigma (and any other quality initiatives), but there are a relatively small number of companies who do it seriously. Quality for a lot of companies is 'badge on the wall' and hope we get through the inspection again next year.

2) You could check out the current job market on websites like Reed Online: More jobs, more choice at reed.co.uk, the UK I've just searched for 'six sigma' on there and come up with 219 jobs UK wide.

3) I'd counsel against thinking about consultancy at this stage - you'll be competing against people with more experience, a better track record and more contacts than you. Maybe your first step should be to be a job within a distribution firm or a supermarket supply chain and see where you go from there.

4) Whatever job you start in civilian life will probably bear some resemblance to your army job - for example Royal Logistic Corps would translate well into a civilian supply chain job. Basically you have to make your army track record work for you because in the current economic climate most firms will only employ people with experience in their line of work.

5) I'd suggest you list out your current skills + one you can get from training courses and then start mapping those to the civilian jobs that are the best fit. That'll give you your best chance of your first job. It might not be 100% what you want to do, but it'll get you started and you can always move to a more desirable job in 2 - 3 years time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mega - will do!!
  5. Wordsmith thanks for your advice. It is always good to get a 2nd opinion, I will let you know how I get on!