• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

LEAN Six Sigma Black Belt

I worked for Bombardier and Caterpillar here in NI and all lean etc process improvements were taught in house. I looked at the cost of that course and I basically covered it in 3 days in Shorts Belfast and I was a glorified storesperson (supply logistics agent was the actual title)

Before I part with my ELC credits and a proportion of my op bonus to attend the LEAN Six Sigma Black Belt anyone heard of 100%EffectiveTraining their client list is impressive lots of Blue Chip Companies plus the RAF. Anyone had any experience good or bad.
If their clients include the RAF (not sure if that's everyone in the entire organisation or a handful of logisticians), then I have the feeling that it's probably nugatory.

I am job hunting now as I am about to demob and six sigma is appearing in a lot of job ads. Is this a truly adopted doctrine or just another CV filter fad!

Any info is appreciated.

Six/lean Sigma is a standard and industry recognised process improvement methodology. Its all about removing waste from a process and making it more efficient.
Theres a load of bulls1t in it but there are some useful bits to be used in the real world. I'd be very surprised if you qualified as Black belt from just a course. Most courses take you to green belt level, attaining black is a matter of actually practicing the skills and tools.
Depending on the industry you're looking to get into ITIL (for IT) or PRINCE (for project management) are alternatives but nothing really trumps experience and most companies worth their salt will be happier getting someone who's used these skills rather than someone whos just passed the course.

P

PrinceAlbert

Six/lean Sigma is a standard and industry recognised process improvement methodology. Its all about removing waste from a process and making it more efficient.
Theres a load of bulls1t in it but there are some useful bits to be used in the real world. I'd be very surprised if you qualified as Black belt from just a course. Most courses take you to green belt level, attaining black is a matter of actually practicing the skills and tools.
Depending on the industry you're looking to get into ITIL (for IT) or PRINCE (for project management) are alternatives but nothing really trumps experience and most companies worth their salt will be happier getting someone who's used these skills rather than someone whos just passed the course.
I agree with everything that has been said in this post. Having done ITILv3, and PRINCE2 (which are great for a CV) the experience in the work place is paramount. However, the qualification will help open doors.

Black belt from one course sounds a bit far fetched......I'd delve a bit deeper.

I am job hunting now as I am about to demob and six sigma is appearing in a lot of job ads. Is this a truly adopted doctrine or just another CV filter fad!

Any info is appreciated.
All govt depts have adopted Lean or are in line to and both Fortune 500 companies I work for before joining the civil service had adopted it. If you can get on a coarse then do so as I dont think its a flash in a pan like the 'investing in people' bollocks from some years back. Its here to stay.

Thanks for the info, it is an expensive course at all levels (much more than what I paid for PRINCE2). I does appear to be an endorsed by European and UK bodies, a bit more research needed.

If anyone has work experience using this I would appreciate a quick brief :)

ugly

LE
Many years ago before we all slavishly swallowed and followed the US MBA dogma, work was planned by engineers (with degrees) sorted by supervisors with experience and carried out by technicians with trade training. Then along came project managers. Oh dear!
Six Smegma is basically a course in what if. Nothing that a few years in a good infantry regiment couldnt teach you!

Disco - I'd agree with Ugly. Several years good military experience will teach you more than most qualification...however 'Civ-world' says qualifcations matter so...You probably already know that Six Sigma has been around in the US for a long while and big/early adopters included GE, Bank of America, Xerox, IBM and AmEx. I think there is good reason that some things take a while to gain the same momentum in Europe and UK, however all these things Prince2, Six Sigma and the like have their place without the need for slavish devotion! A couple of links to articles that may or may not, provide food for thought.

Army Adopting Lean Six Sigma

Six Sigma: Europe

Thanks for the info, it is an expensive course at all levels (much more than what I paid for PRINCE2). I does appear to be an endorsed by European and UK bodies, a bit more research needed.

If anyone has work experience using this I would appreciate a quick brief :)
To be honest the Wikipedia page on it is very concise. The problem with it is that its based around productivity in production and has been adopted by everyone in office enviroments so once its been filtered down to suit our needs it aquates to little more than doing away with amounts of data kept on paper, examining the work flow and doing away with unneccesary proccesses and bunging everything that is not needed in the working enviroments.

Ugly pretty much sums it up really.

ugly

LE
The problem with firms like Bechtel is they insist on all of this shoite and then also insist in reams of bullshit pie charts and forecasts to get their performance bonuses sorted. Its smoke and mirrors.

Totally agree Ugly. A system is only as good as it's implementation and application to a specific need...and importantly to the results it's achieve. When it is used as 'cover' for the 'don't we look good brigade' then it is simply an expensive waste of time.

I remember the first time somebody I work with told me they were a Black Belt in Six Sigma - they seemed really proud and couldn't understand when I fair started to wet myself laughing.

However, to be clear - LEAN is very good and very helpful and I have seen it have really good results. Six Sigma is a personality cult that is mainly bothered about mathematical models, different tools etc to support LEAN.

It is one of those things that can now be expected for senior managers - but only at an awareness level, unless you plan to be the Operational Excellence senior manager for an organisation.

Also, can't say for ITIL (not my bag), but PRINCE2 is just one of those expected things to have - I have seen very few actual PRINCE2 shops being operated - most people just take what they want from it, but you might be asked to have it - if so, do the foundation level UNLESS you are being hired as a project manager.

ugly

LE
My last employers as a PM wanted me to have Prince2 and be a member of the APM but it turned out they didnt use it and used Spearmint. When I dug deeper they had blown vast sheckels on spearmint and found it was unusable in their disciplines so paid lip service to it but to keep the bean counters and heads of departments happy used the models for reporting. Even then it was a complete cock up. PMs would spend half the period completing vast reports and only the summary would get looked at.
Another waste of time and layer of managers that werent needed!
I lasted 2 years there, 4 months as a PM and then they were dropped in the crap so I covered an engineering post for the remainder of my time.

Most of these management techniques are like scientology. If you pay enough money you can rise one level and they promise that you will receive superduper enlightenment. But the top level is always just out of reach, the materials cost an utter bomb and they don't trust you to teach yourself. You have to be indoctrinated. Tin foil hat anyone?

Most of these management techniques are like scientology. If you pay enough money you can rise one level and they promise that you will receive superduper enlightenment. But the top level is always just out of reach, the materials cost an utter bomb and they don't trust you to teach yourself. You have to be indoctrinated. Tin foil hat anyone?
Neatly put. ITIL's the same, just a ponzi scheme for consumers and an excuse to turn bearded unemployable stasi into 'process experts.'

Latest Threads