Leaflets dropped in Iraq

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Psypher, Nov 30, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In a few days the papers will report that those leaflets contained chemical weapons.

2. At the start of the war, Saddam's propaganda minister claimed that they were to dissuade Iraqis from picking them up.

3. You know what the problem is? They're all in English, hnar, hnar!

:p

4. Nah it's OK everyone speaks English, don't they? :wink:

5. It would be nice if you translate the non English ones to English for site viewers.

6. I do when I can and it is a long-term objective of the site. However there are over 1,800+ leaflets currently in the database, from WWI to the present day and is a slow process for me to type up translations. These days most of the British and US leaflets have a complimentary English version, however, these are much harder for me to get hold of. (Actually there are some available on the US CENTCOM website that I haven't gotten around to adding yet)

So any submissions are greatly received :wink:

7. I think this will be more and more valuable as the time goes by. It's very fascinating for me! If you need help with some of the translation, I can offer a hand.

8. Thanks Radical_Dreamer that's a very kind offer and much appreciated! What language/s are your forte?

9. I picked one up as a little momento and diddn't exactly know what it was about until now. I do now :wink:

10. Good to hear the website was useful for you.

11. After many nights of sweat, blood and tears, I just earned a degree in Arabic, but I can tackle the Afghanistan leaflets as well. I'm a language freak! :)

12. Interesting site, if you need any of the German stuff translated give me a shout.

13. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to learn Arabic! Congrats on the degree.

Here are two leaflets I'd very much like a translation of. These are longer than the usual ones, I hope that's OK?
    http://www.psywar.org/apddetailsdb.php?detail=2003IFUKH089A
    http://www.psywar.org/apddetailsdb.php?detail=2003IFUKH089B

Thanks! :D

14. Thanks Fuchs66, that is very kind of you too.

Fortunately most of the WWII German leaflets I have copied the translations from the National Archives, it is just a case of getting them re-typed.

However, there are one series in particular due to its nature were never translated at the time. That is the leaflet newspaper Nachrichten für die Truppe. The was a joint UK/US production between the Political Warfare Executive and the Office of Strategic Services under the inspired editorship of Sefton Delmer. It was classed as a "grey" newspaper as it did not claim to be sent from the Allies. Usually it was four pages long and contain factual information on the military situation. It was the first to announce D-Day. Where it got sneeky was with the German home news. This is a very historic piece of psychological warfare and well worth being translated into English. But it would be a hell of lot of work as each issue was around 10,000-12,000 words and there were approaching 400 issues!

This is the D-day issue:
    http://www.psywar.org/apddetailsdb.php?detail=1944NFDTT051

Don't worry Fuchs66 I'm asking you to translate these! But perhaps I could send you an occasion short article? This would be helpful with research for the book I'm writing on British black propaganda during WWII.