Leadership

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Feenix, May 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You have been asked to put some input into future policy for your organisation. How would you define /describe what makes, in your opinion, a good leader?

2. One who enjoys the works of Wagner.

• Like Like x 3
  3. a good leader is the last man out of the bar.

4. A rare quality. Many think they have the ability but few can see it through to fruition.

A good orator. Someone who has a dynamic approach and can influence en masse.

A free thinker with integrity and vision. Trustworthy. Honest.

The ability to admit their failings and re establish their position as leader irrespective of those failings.

• Like Like x 2
  5. And the first one in the bar?

If only! I'd have more gongs than Idi Amin!

6. Management involves doing things right. Leadership means doing the right things. Short sweet and salient.

Good night.

• Like Like x 1
  7. A good leader always leads by example. A good leader never asks those working for him to do something he wouldn't do himself.

8. All excellent answers, but very generic ones. They hold true to the essence of leadership, but are so general as to ignore the true facets of it.
    I myself am no DS guru, but I have my own opinions.

Firstly, - Where does a good leader come from?

I have my own opinion on this. I've heard the boring phrase 'a leader is born - not raised' so many times that I could fall asleep. It's bollocks.
    I was a quiet lad through school, and saw other blokes rise above me as Victor Ludorum or Head Boy. They are now working as part of a sales or managerial team (proven - I do attend Alumni events).
    So 'excellence' at a young age does not necessarily translate - not in this economic climate.

I was asked to deliver a brief on the difference between management and leadership. As a young (and inexperienced) Lance Jack these were simply words to me. It was, however, a turning point. If not in my career, then in my attitude towards how and why we work the way we do.
    I discovered that it is generally held that management is a facet of leadership. That many military commanders have agreed with the 'leadership is inherent' philosophy.
    I delivered my brief to the contrary, quoting and disagreeing with the sources. I argued that a solid young soldier CAN learn to lead, if his dormant leadership ability is nurtured.

I was absolutely bollocked by the DS, as quoting and disagreeing with Slim is a crime. Saying that, I also passed out as TS, so it can't have been that bad!

I didn't say it to prove a point.

Leadership is an attribute that CAN be nurtured from a young age.
    But we have to look at different levels of leadership. Is a Sergeant (Serjeant) any less of a leader than a PC? Of course fecking not. His limbs shiver at the thought of losing a lad as much as anyone else's does.

*OPINION - AS IT IS AN OPINION-ORIENTATED THREAD*

I hope you don't mind me interrupting here. I'm going to attempt to put across what I want from a boss, as well as the boss I want to be.

Leadership is knowing your men, whether it be your section, platoon or company. If you earn enough to command more men then you should be working hard enough to know them all.
    That means knowing them all, individually, first name and nickname. Knowing which section they belong to, and who their bosses are. Whether they're married, single, divorced, even if they have a girlfriend. Knowing the girlfriend's name, and the names of the children. Knowing whether they live on camp, off camp, if they live accompanied or unaccompanied, in the mess or the SLA.
    Knowing the aspirations of every man, and developing the aspirations/career of those who are less imaginary.

*I wrote a hell of a lot more, but deleted it as to be fair I saw it as either irrelevant or just confusing, I'm a terrible writer!*

I am very, very lucky. I was posted to a unit very early on in my career where the CoC was so fecking fantastic that I have already formed my opinion of what makes a great boss.

If I am ever half the boss that OC C-S or 2iC A-W were then I will consider myself successful. I am still now in awe of them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. A good leader is a man who can play the accordion (or indeed, the bagpipes) but who refrains.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Urr Excuse Me!! Do your own ******* essay!

11. Looks good in lederhosen and a toothbrush moustache.

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.

12. A good leader is someone who can get people to do things they really don't want to do and not be disliked for it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Don't do essays any more left school in 1959. Thought after after all the discussion going on about the worth of the TA and how it could all be better, some of you young and not so young "thrusters" might have some view on the leadership qualities needed to drive some of the changes not just there but in society generally.
    From my observation point we seem to have lost the plot and there's not a lot of leadership about. We the Sheeples demand it!

14. Well tonight, Ran Fiennes is at Barnstaple's Theatre. I have tickets and I can't wait. Introductions not usually necessary.

Time for another bash at this. Management and leadership are two different things and how many times have we wanted to lamp really bad managers? We've all known good and bad leaders and all for different reasons. Is it a question of balancing the mission with your own aims and not forgetting your peoples' needs. Ignore all that and the wheels come off.

Time's too short to go on about all the "great" leaders, Alexandra the Great, or Churchill, on and on. Leaders seem to fail or succeed in what they're trying to achieve and their influences and effects on their people. And the mood and commitment of the people being led. It looks an odd mix, some people have it and some don't, and some will learn leadership if they're serious.. Alexandra pushed his troops too far until they'd had enough. Churchill was voted out of office after World War 2. Stop listening or reading signs, and it's game over. Leadership can make or break a leader, and it's the human factors and fortune that will decide and there's just no recipes. Fcuk me that's deep, time to get back to the NAAFI.

• Like Like x 1
  15. He's a come on, not a go on.