Leaders Debate

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tango, Dec 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I ran a quick search for this, and couldn't find another post, so I'm (fairly sure) this hasn't been done before, though apologies if it has.

I was watching Sky News this morning, and there was a small feature on the 'Leaders Debate' to be held prior to the Election next year. First of all, I was wondering what people's opinions on this were? I think it's a great idea personally, if CMD can pull his finger out of his arrse and bring a good set of answers/questions to the table. I can't see Gordon Brown being personable enough to come across as anything other than a twunt.

Secondly, the SNP and the Welsh National Party (sorry, I don't know the acronym for it) seem to be feeling a little left out; demanding that they be allowed to take part in the debate (UK-wide, not just Wales/Scotland). Any opinions?

edited to add: Seeing as how this is a national leaders debate (national in my mind being the whole of the UK), I don't believe that a single nation's party should get an 'invitation'. But, me disagreeing with the SNP is a whole other thread.

Apologies for rambling, snowed in AND got man flu (Ho fcuking ho)

Full story here

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

They cannot invite more than 3 people, otherwise it would turn into a mass debate......

3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

This is a good thing.

Whilst people will think they are voting for an individual (only bad news for Gordo!) the reality will be that the 3 main parties will have to talk about their policies on individual issues.

Resorting to name calling and class wars will only erode credibility so all 3 will have to work hard and be polished. I think the surprise will lie with the Lib Dems as they will now have a chance for more exposure.

However, Gordo will now be on round the clock preparation like Tony did to get ready for "show time". Mendacious and Campbell will be lurking in the background.

Dave and his mob need to get coherent quickly.

Nick Clegg needs to come up with something viable to be elected!!

4. True, I hadn't actually thought of that. But I still regard the SNP (apologies to all Scots on here), as 'slightly mad'. As mentioned on numerous other threads, Scotland wouldn't benefit from independence, unless GB made horrendously biased concessions. But anyway, that's another subject.

5. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Regarding the minority parties or single issue parties (SNP, Plaid Cymru, etc) - tough titty boys; become big enough to play. If we allowed them, we would have to give air time to all of the other oxygen thieves such as the BNP, UKIP, Greens, Monster Raving Loony Party, etc

6. I think the idea of the three party leaders mass debating on television is revolting.

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

All jocks are "slightly mad", not just the SNP - and I certainly do not wish to see any of them mass debating on telly....

8. I concur, a thunderdome type event would be more to my liking.

9. BBC, ITV and Sky.

The BBC one will be a farcical waste of time because the TV likes of Naughtie, Humphrys and the new Labour placeman Justin 'Don't Let a Tory Shadow Minister Get a Word in Edgeways' Webb, will be so busy licking Brown's bottom that most viewers will start to vomit.

ITV will be a farcical waste of time because of the advertisements every so often.

Sky will be a farcical waste of time because of even more advertisements.

Most viewers will be distracted by asking each other:

"Who is that twerp up there with Brown and Cameron?"

My view is: the whole series will be a farcical waste of time.

Debate is not really needed in this country. A simple and true picture of our financial shambles and examination of our craven adherence to every diktat issued by the unelected, unaccountable, corrupt Eurine Union and it's supine 'parliament', aided and abetted by the self-interested gang of f*ckwits masquerading as the council of ministers, should suffice.

10. I would prefer the "Running Man" model to be honest.

11. When did Scotland get a government? I thought it was an Executive similar to Wales but marginally more nasal and annoying. Ideas above their station and the pennies in their mock badger sporrans, methinks!!

12. SNP and Plaid Cymru - F*ck off. All they want is more devolved power for their countries and basically telling Westminster to jog on all the time. Yet they want to waste the rest of the UK's (England and NI) time by telling us how much they dont need/want everyone else.
    All by the by, but SNP if you want to become the EU's new *Enter any new EU, poor ex Soviet state*, youre welcome to it, the rest of us, do not care! :lol:

Anyway, Brown is going to look foolish in any debate and I fear it will just turn into class warfare.
    I reckon although Clegg may look the forgotten grey man, he will come across with some rational arguments that will certainly benefit the Lib Dems come election time.

13. I think it will be a waste of time .. it will be about personalities and not substance. The questions I suspect will be known to the debatees beforehand so that they can trot out their parties dogma and spin and not answer truthfully and simply. The real issues that concern the population will be sidelined.

14. I would actually welcome that as it would allow people to make a more informed and democratic choice on who to vote for. It's also why it will never happen.

15. At least with the Monster Raving Loony Party we would hear some believable, sound, common-sense!