Leader of Iranian Quds Force Terminated by Order of Trump

Just wondering here about the security of UK persons and assets in the region. We are an ally of the US and it might be the case that an attack against the UK - either domestically in the form of terror; or against an ME-based unit/office - will form part of the Iranian response. Iirc the security services have in recent years prevented attacks in the UK by Iran-backed terrorists, so there is some level of threat there.
best keep away from London Bridge then as it’s seems to be quite a popular destination for people suffering from mental illness.

best keep away from London Bridge then as it’s seems to be quite a popular destination for people suffering from mental illness.
Don’t worry, they are likely lone wolves...

Just wondering here about the security of UK persons and assets in the region.
I doubt that this can be considered as posturing

Iran-backed Iraqi militia commander Qais al-Khazali ordered on Friday his fighters to be on high alert for an upcoming battle and said that U.S. military presence in Iraq would end soon,.

“All fighters should be on high alert for upcoming battle and great victory. The price for the blood for the martyred commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis is the complete end to American military presence in Iraq,” local TV channel al-Ahd which is close to his Asaib Ahl al-Haq militia quoted him as saying.

Anyone and anything that can be linked to the US or classed as it's allies is now a target.

If it is to be believed and there are a number of Iranian backed cells in the US, you can also assume there will be some in the UK and other Western countries, OZ, Canada, France etc. On the plus side we do seem to be quite good at sniffing these out at the moment, but how many have sneaked in via small boats from France over the last 12-18 months.

he was the most powerful man in Iran, even the Supreme Leader feared him.

This is like the Rebel Alliance killing Darth Vader.

I’ve thought that Iran needed some sort of indication that it’s behaviour (SoH stuff, backing militias etc) would not be tolerated but I can’t help but feel that such a public killing will naturally require an escalation in response from a state with strong terrorist links. I just don’t see why the couldn’t have assassinated him* and acted clueless.

Although if @petergriffen is right and he was just a collateral victim of a US air strike then there’s not much the US can do other than claim responsibility. Personally i don’t think this is the case because if it was why claim he was the target and accept all the fall out that goes with it when you could just say you were targeting a terrorist leader and blame QS’s death on Iran’s associations with terrorists.

So after much rambling, yes I think Iran needed a warning but I’m not sure this warning was a good idea. About as subtle as a kick in the baws.

*I'm an old romantic like that

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
As always the US only look at a US foreign policy issue through their own limited blinkers. No consideration whatsoever is given as to how that policy and repercussions of may impinge upon other nations and the region concerned. By such a blatant overt act this will force Iran to take a similar blatant overt act in retaliation. Many innocent people in man countries will now pay the price for Trumps dick waving.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
At least he is decisive; unlike the UK/NATO response to the Salisbury Novichok attack!

Or were you referring to Military presence ? Which then begs the question, why is one foreign Military presence deemed acceptable but other Foreign Military presence is deemed unacceptable ?
I see you never learned much from history.

At least he is decisive; unlike the UK/NATO response to the Salisbury Novichok attack!
Only ? 150 "diplomats" expelled.
What di you think NATO should have done? Killed Putin?

As always the US only look at a US foreign policy issue through their own limited blinkers. No consideration whatsoever is given as to how that policy and repercussions of may impinge upon other nations and the region concerned. By such a blatant overt act this will force Iran to take a similar blatant overt act in retaliation. Many innocent people in man countries will now pay the price for Trumps dick waving.
You seem oblivious to the fact that Iran has been actively engaged in, financed, directed, proxy terrorist groups for years.

Many innocent people in many countries have been killed by the direct actions of Iran over years.

Get your blinkers off!!!

They even kill their own population.

I just don’t see why the couldn’t have assassinated him* and acted clueless.
Even doing it the way you suggest, who do you think Iran would blame for it? Even if they couldn't prove it was the US they'd probably say it was a US backed assassination.

I think the West has two choices. Either:

1. Pull out of the entire ME region, close embassies, stop all aid and support, and let them fight to the last fanatic. This worked well in the Iran Iraq war of 1980-88. An estimated million people died, including 100,000 civilians. The economic damage h nations was over USD 1 trillion, something that they still have not recovered from.
(A key part of this is taking absoluely no refugees - non at all. This forces them to fight not to run).

2. Step in with massive firepower and level large parts of the ME. Make them so afraid of the West that they leave us alone. It is the schoolyard equivalent of caning the whole class for fighting in the playground.

The Carter, Clinton, Obama option of running around waving your hands and begging “please dont do that” doesn't seem to have worked.

I prefer option 1.

Even doing it the way you suggest, who do you think Iran would blame for it? Even if they couldn't prove it was the US they'd probably say it was a US backed assassination.
You’re right of course they would. But by doing it so publicly they’ve put Iran in a place which means they have to retaliate.

Smegged??

This really is not going to end well. Listening to Radio 4 Iran is clearly furious at this huge escalation. I think Trump has now given Iran an excuse to hugely ramp up their offensive actions.

This is a nation that list hundreds of thousands dead in a war against Iraq (who have also had a senior person killed) and any gloating here is entirely misjudged.

Fully expect this will balloon rapidly and many deaths will be seen in the very near future. Would not be surprised if the Strait of Hormuz also sees attacks against Western shipping and the oil price to skyrocket.

Anything to have an excuse to end 40 plus years of playing nice...

You seem oblivious to the fact that Iran has been actively engaged in, financed, directed, proxy terrorist groups for years.

Many innocent people in many countries have been killed by the direct actions of Iran over years.

Get your blinkers off!!!

They even kill their own population.
Have you heard of tbe Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?

Latest Threads