Leader of Iranian Quds Force Terminated by Order of Trump

USS Vincennes thought they where under attack from an F14.
Wasn't that where people under pressure thought they heard one thing and acted on it when in fact that wasn't the case ?
Entirely possible the similar circumstances apply to the Iranian-Ukranian tragedy. I wonder if we will ever know if some poor sod thought he was doing as he was ordered when pressing the button.

Marmite interview...with interesting statements.

What an irritating voice that woman had.

Yes, some interesting snippets but far too much of Trump using any opportunity to have a dig at his domestic opponents.

Anyway, the regional bully has just found out that their favourite speccy dork target isnt just Clark Kent...

NSP

LE
After a recommendation in another thread on here I have just finished off reading Kursk by Robert Moore.
A Time To Die...? I've got that in my book cupboard. An excellent account as I recall (not re-read it for some years).

Sir J really knows his she-ite and should be listened to, sadly however, I doubt that will be the case.
Point I was making was irrespective of his solidarity for dead Brits, he's fundamentally got to be neutral especially as as Johnno is trying to keep on side with the EU and this issue with the Ratcliffe woman ( which I think is more important for him), which is why I would have thought he would have sought FO clearance for his actions first. I seriously think Boris should distance himself from the EU FP given that Mutti has gone to see Papa Putin. I suspect the French are walking their own walk not to lose influence in the region.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Because Irc someone had left their IFF off.
Worse - the Vincennes was interrogating the wrong target. Iran Air 655 was squawking the correct Mode III IFF throughout its flight.

Well, those UK supermarket fuel prices raised oh, so quickly last week have not gone down to their pre-crisis levels despite the price of Brent crude being no higher than two weeks ago.

Quelle surprise!

Well, those UK supermarket fuel prices raised oh, so quickly last week have not gone down to their pre-crisis levels despite the price of Brent crude being no higher than two weeks ago.

Quelle surprise!
As I suggested earlier in the thread, it was nothing more than price gouging.

Yokel

LE
@LeoRoverman and @jrwlynch

Civil aircraft do not have IFF as such, they carry a transponder for 'secondary radar' which constantly broadcasts their identity. Add to that a problem in communication with the Iranian Airbus. The technical aspects are discussed in the final section of Cordesman's study of the tanker war.

There was also the psychological problem of 'scenario fulfillment'.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
@LeoRoverman and @jrwlynch

Civil aircraft do not have IFF as such, they carry a transponder for 'secondary radar' which constantly broadcasts their identity. Add to that a problem in communication with the Iranian Airbus. The technical aspects are discussed in the final section of Cordesman's study of the tanker war.

There was also the psychological problem of 'scenario fulfillment'.
Civilian aircraft use Mode III IFF.

Good article in the August 1993 Proceedings of the US Naval Institute - "Vincennes: A Case Study", by Lt Col David Evans, U.S. Marine Corps (Retired)

"We have to raise our prices immediately to take account of the increased cost of replacing fuel"

"We can only lower our prices once we have used up existing stocks"
The problem with that argument is that the cost of fuel very rarely reverts back to pre panic prices though.

I wasn't claiming it was a good argument. The bastards.
I got that you weren't claiming anything, if anything I took your post as a criticism of how things are.

Worse - the Vincennes was interrogating the wrong target. Iran Air 655 was squawking the correct Mode III IFF throughout its flight.
Well I remembered the name of the ship- that's something, but was it not alleged that the F14 had switched theirs of and was in close proximity and that confused things? Genuine question- this is from memory.

It is beginning to look like the Iranian regime might have ignited a Ceaușescu December 1989 situation with recent events, with demonstrations in Tehran and elsewhere.

Another potential nail in the coffin of the Ayatollahs?,

Life for the average Iranian is not easy, and sooner or later the edifice is going to crack.

Remember another regime favoured by Corbyn in 1989- Erich Honecher's so-called Deutsches Demokratische Republik ?. Despite a Gestapo-like secret police, the Staats Sicherheit Dienst-the infamous STASI, that regime crumbled. This can and will in time happen in Iran.

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well I remembered the name of the ship- that's something, but was it not alleged that the F14 had switched theirs of and was in close proximity and that confused things? Genuine question- this is from memory.
Folk need to be remember that at that time, only two countries in the world operated the F-14 Tomcat.... awkwardly, US and Iran.

So the Vincennes tactical team weren't expecting a potential incoming threat to squawk...it was a ****-up.

See above re 'psychological expectations'

Adam Schiff on CBS: Esper and Pompeo are "overstating and exaggerating what the intelligence shows"
From CNN's Raymond Arke

House Intelligence Chairman Rep. Adam Schiff responded to Secretary of Defense Mark Esper's interview, calling Esper's characterization of the classified briefing on Iran "just plain wrong," Schiff said "On Face the Nation" this morning.
Schiff went on to say there was no discussion of their being four embassies under threat and the he doesn't recall the briefers giving any specifics about a plotted attack on the US embassy in Baghdad.
Schiff said that Esper and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo are "overstating and exaggerating what the intelligence shows," warning that is dangerous. Schiff said that other members of the "Gang of Eight" were unsatisfied with the evidence the administration presented suggesting attacks were imminent.

Wag the dog indeed.

Latest Threads