Leader of Iranian Quds Force Terminated by Order of Trump

NSP

LE
I suspect Rob will be receiving an unpleasant phone call from Rabb or Boris shorty.

The Government are trying to distance itself from the Iranian-US spat & getting involved in protests hardly helps your cause.

Iran’s own internal domestic politics is clearly getting battered, although finally admitting shooting down a Ukrainian plane with your own citizens on should be a red flag to all other airlines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's no detail in the link you quote so it could just as easily have been that he was passing through the area, was recognised and lifted to be bloody awkward.

Or he was passing through the area and, having a white face or a Union flag fluttering from his car or something, was detained whilst his status was verified due to the ongoing local situation. Regime try to make capital out of it by spinning cobblers, get caught out - inevitably.

At face value, just some copper doing his job, "Terribly sorry, Mr. Ambassador, but we have to confirm these things when you claim you have diplomatic status. Would be remiss if we just took your word for it without checking that your papers were in fact genuine, I'm sure you'll agree." Political headshed get to hear of it and then it all goes postal.

More than one KAL 007 in 1983. KAL 902 in 1978 (there were 107 Survivors of this shootdown)

And the Whole MH17 thing
To be fair, Soviets shot down KAL 007 because they thought was a spy plane

There's no detail in the link you quote so it could just as easily have been that he was passing through the area, was recognised and lifted to be bloody awkward.

Or he was passing through the area and, having a white face or a Union flag fluttering from his car or something, was detained whilst his status was verified due to the ongoing local situation. Regime try to make capital out of it by spinning cobblers, get caught out - inevitably.

At face value, just some copper doing his job, "Terribly sorry, Mr. Ambassador, but we have to confirm these things when you claim you have diplomatic status. Would be remiss if we just took your word for it without checking that your papers were in fact genuine, I'm sure you'll agree." Political headshed get to hear of it and then it all goes postal.
Update, usual media hype as he was held for a few hours for taking pictures of the protests, released & is home.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

NSP

LE
Update, usual media hype as he was held for a few hours for taking pictures of the protests, released & is home.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yeah - sounds about right for that kind of authoritarian regime - or any regime, really - put you under authority (i.e. arrest) and then ask the questions down at the nick, under caution and documented, whilst the details are checked and confirmed.

"Why are you taking photos of this subversive demonstration?"

"I'm the British ambassador and my government will want a full report."*

"A likely story! You're here to undermine our government."

"Nope - here, look; diplomatic credentials."

"Sure they are, big nose. Wait here..."

"We've examined your papers and verified your story as true. Be more circumspect in future. Have a nice day, sir."

* AKA "I'm the representative of a civilised country and want to document your human rights abuses and any incidences of your Quds mob sniping people for openly opposing your nutty government."

Last edited:
To be fair, Soviets shot down KAL 007 because they thought was a spy plane
Not forgetting Iran arrested a crack team of 14 squirrels because they thought they were foreign spies after Iranian nuclear secrets

Marmite interview...with interesting statements.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere a long time ago that when the SALT business was settled and each side was dismantling weapons in the sight of the other some US observers noted that most of the Soviet silos were in poor maintenance condition and half-full of water, knacking the ICBMs and rendering them unflyable.

That's not to say they haven't upped their game nor have plenty of air-launched weapons but if the poorly-paid/not-paid/scour-fields-for-potatoes* conscripts manning the facilities is still the norm (i.e. still diffy on the maintenance) then it's possible the MAD balance is tipped significantly in the west's favour. As in, Soviets [Russia] has nukes. Lots of nukes. But only a slack handful work. If they're lucky...

* Remember those reports? Not so long ago, relatively speaking...
Liquid-fuelled rockets? Liquid-fuelled rocket operators more like.

Last edited:

morsk

LE
Continue laughing at you and your pathetic posts! :)
**** off you stupid old cnut. Do you really have so very little left in your rapidly decreasing life that you assume I am posting about you just because I say your username? Are you Beetlejuice or something? Have a lie down, you need to rest before the next news headline needs reposting in some Pavlovian knee-jerk reaction. Thank fcuk this a news site right?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
**** off you stupid old cnut. Do you really have so very little left in your rapidly decreasing life that you assume I am posting about you just because I say your username? Are you Beetlejuice or something? Have a lie down, you need to rest before the next news headline needs reposting in some Pavlovian knee-jerk reaction. Thank fcuk this a news site right?
Classic. :)

Yeah - sounds about right for that kind of authoritarian regime - or any regime, really - put you under authority (i.e. arrest) and then ask the questions down at the nick, under caution and documented, whilst the details are checked and confirmed.

"Why are you taking photos of this subversive demonstration?"

"I'm the British ambassador and my government will want a full report."*

"A likely story! You're here to undermine our government."

"Nope - here, look; diplomatic credentials."

"Sure they are, big nose. Wait here..."

"We've examined your papers and verified your story as true. Be more circumspect in future. Have a nice day, sir."

* AKA "I'm the representative of a civilised country and want to document your human rights abuses and any incidences of your Quds mob sniping people for openly opposing your nutty government."
Not to mention' "Why have you detained me?"

"We will ask the questions"

Andrew Neil tweeted a link to this Spectator article by Sir John Jenkins. It's from Wednesday but still worth a read.

Soleimani’s assassination has exposed the EU’s big weakness
John Jenkins

Soleimani’s assassination has exposed the EU’s big weakness | Coffee House
the Guardian has reported said that Johnno needs to keep on side with the EU, well Iran aside, I say it's a perfect opportunity not to and stop sliding on France's coat tails. The last century was full of that and it cost us. As to Iran itself, I would say that Khamenai's statement that the Agreement is dead and the EU's(German) Overtures to the Russians should make Johnno think again. Iran has no more figleaves to hide behind.

I suspect Rob will be receiving an unpleasant phone call from Rabb or Boris shorty.

The Government are trying to distance itself from the Iranian-US spat & getting involved in protests hardly helps your cause.

Iran’s own internal domestic politics is clearly getting battered, although finally admitting shooting down a Ukrainian plane with your own citizens on should be a red flag to all other airlines.

Surely that would have been cleared by FO first

the Guardian has reported said that Johnno needs to keep on side with the EU, well Iran aside, I say it's a perfect opportunity not to and stop sliding on France's coat tails. The last century was full of that and it cost us. As to Iran itself, I would say that Khamenai's statement that the Agreement is dead and the EU's(German) Overtures to the Russians should make Johnno think again. Iran has no more figleaves to hide behind.
Sir J really knows his she-ite and should be listened to, sadly however, I doubt that will be the case.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere a long time ago that when the SALT business was settled and each side was dismantling weapons in the sight of the other some US observers noted that most of the Soviet silos were in poor maintenance condition and half-full of water, knacking the ICBMs and rendering them unflyable.

That's not to say they haven't upped their game nor have plenty of air-launched weapons but if the poorly-paid/not-paid/scour-fields-for-potatoes* conscripts manning the facilities is still the norm (i.e. still diffy on the maintenance) then it's possible the MAD balance is tipped significantly in the west's favour. As in, Soviets [Russia] has nukes. Lots of nukes. But only a slack handful work. If they're lucky...

* Remember those reports? Not so long ago, relatively speaking...
After a recommendation in another thread on here I have just finished off reading Kursk by Robert Moore. The cause of that was determined to be poor maintenance of exercise torpedoes.

The catalogue of disasters that have plagued the Russian military (Severomorsk fire, the one at Nyonoksa, the Kuznetsov catalogue of failures, et al) seem to be the norm for them. Also in that book the accommodation for the military appeared horrific, confirming other sources I have heard regarding how they treat their servicemen.

ETA Oooops. Dont know what happened there. No. I didnt say @Auld-Yin had sock puppets, I said B2 was carrying on as if he were one of Auld yins sock puppets, with the constant 'news' rebro
Well, if you dont like people bringing breaking news into a thread then maybe you should stick to the History type threads?
This is a discussion thread. New information arises, it gets mentioned and discussed.

Latest Threads