Lead shot

4(T)

LE
Although not a game shooter myself, the thing that really worries me about this proposed ban is that it may well be a precursor to an attack on lead in centrefire & rimfire ammunition.

As with every fresh restriction in shooting sports, the affair smells less about evidenced issues, and more about ongoing agendas.

I use 7.5 for everything
Although not a game shooter myself, the thing that really worries me about this proposed ban is that it may well be a precursor to an attack on lead in centrefire & rimfire ammunition.

As with every fresh restriction in shooting sports, the affair smells less about evidenced issues, and more about ongoing agendas.
Its not such a worry to rifle shooters as there are some exceptional solids (copper I think , ) and also some good hunting bullets , Lapua Natralis for one.

HE117

LE
As an antique gun shooter, this move has left me stuffed.. Bismuth is £55 a kilo which is eyewatering, but is the only alternative at the moment for damascus and iron barrels. It is also extremely badly made and patterns like a mad woman's sh1t...!

What gets my goat is that there has been no consultation outside the inner circles of these organisations..

I am also deeply suspicious of some of the GTA members who seem to see profits in non lead bullet alternatives. The ricochet characteristics of non lead ammunition are completely different to lead cored ammunition. Lead has virtually no elasticity. This is not the same with bronze or solid copper and brass bullets which are capable of significantly greater deflection and ricochet effects.

I too am seriously considering cancelling my membership of BASC.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
As an antique gun shooter, this move has left me stuffed.. Bismuth is £55 a kilo which is eyewatering, but is the only alternative at the moment for damascus and iron barrels. It is also extremely badly made and patterns like a mad woman's sh1t...!

What gets my goat is that there has been no consultation outside the inner circles of these organisations..

I am also deeply suspicious of some of the GTA members who seem to see profits in non lead bullet alternatives. The ricochet characteristics of non lead ammunition are completely different to lead cored ammunition. Lead has virtually no elasticity. This is not the same with bronze or solid copper and brass bullets which are capable of significantly greater deflection and ricochet effects.

I too am seriously considering cancelling my membership of BASC.
It is my syndicates agm tomorrow. No. 1 son and I are both members and will both be attending.

All syndicate members must be members of basc or have equivalent insurance. I anticipate some discussion as to whether the syndicate continues to renew its membership with basc or join another organisation with equivalent insurance cover who will actually represent and consult its members.

Mick9abf

War Hero
It is my syndicates agm tomorrow. No. 1 son and I are both members and will both be attending.

All syndicate members must be members of basc or have equivalent insurance. I anticipate some discussion as to whether the syndicate continues to renew its membership with basc or join another organisation with equivalent insurance cover who will actually represent and consult its members.
Go SGA - BASC have been a waste of time for years but I’ve been too lazy up and till late to do anything about it.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
Go SGA - BASC have been a waste of time for years but I’ve been too lazy up and till late to do anything about it.
I am told SGA are £40 for membership and insurance. I haven't checked to confirm yet but they look favourite.

You dont have to be a gamekeeper to join the NGO

"The NGO's £45 Membership Subscription includes public liability insurance for up to £10 million whilst taking part in any listed gamekeeping or shooting activity for recreational purposes as well as covering you whilst earning no more than £5,000 per annum through shooting (including carcas sales). "

Mick9abf

War Hero
You dont have to be a gamekeeper to join the NGO

"The NGO's £45 Membership Subscription includes public liability insurance for up to £10 million whilst taking part in any listed gamekeeping or shooting activity for recreational purposes as well as covering you whilst earning no more than £5,000 per annum through shooting (including carcas sales). "
I’d go NGO if I’m England and SGA if I’m Scotland. The reason being the SGA and it’s members have direct contact and input at the Scottish Parliament I proposals effecting the industry which is more important than ever with the moonhowlers currently at the helm.

marty870

War Hero
I’d go NGO if I’m England and SGA if I’m Scotland. The reason being the SGA and it’s members have direct contact and input at the Scottish Parliament I proposals effecting the industry which is more important than ever with the moonhowlers currently at the helm.
NGO signed up to the 5 year deadline on lead shot just the same as BASC, CA, GCT et al

hicky

Old-Salt
I'm an NGO member too, basc have been woeful. On our county FB page the rep was very very quiet leading up to the announcement and since has been pushing his agenda significantly. Once the counter comment came in he's gone dark.....that tells me all I need to know.

Mick9abf

War Hero
BASC are now claiming the manufacturers were aware. It’s actually becoming comedy watching this play out.

Someone’s telling fibs and I reckon the likes of BASC are on severe damage limitation at the minute.

It’s ok though as I see on Facebook BASC have got former Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill helping them with the medical certificate fiasco.

You know Jack that well known ‘friend’ of shooting who wanted to either stop or limit the number of firearms a private individual could hold and who steamrollered the air gun licensing legislation through against all advice from various bodies including the Police who is be reborn as an MP for Edinburgh.......... you couldn’t actually script this.

itchy300

Old-Salt
In the last 12 months BASC have really shown how useless they actually are. Everything they seem to be doing is a reaction to the latest challenge by the opposition, we (as shooters) have lost the initiative and are in constant retreat.

I've said it before but we need a US NRA style organisation that isn't scared to put some money into fighting any and all threats to shooting. One that would be willing to assist in the prosecution of trespassers and sabs/antis would be even better. Make shooting too much hassle to touch.

BASC isn't that organisation and once I've made alternative insurance arrangements they can poke their membership and sh*te magazine.

I genuinely believe our backs are against the wall and we face a serious threat to shooting within my generation.

HE117

LE
From what I can gather this is all about the sale of game..!

Someone (?) has been winding up the supermarkets to refuse to take game of any type that has been shot with lead projectiles. This IMHO has serious implications across the board..

1. I am far from convinced that there is any good evidence that metallic lead from projectiles in a carcass has any realistic chance of having health or environmental effects. I get the issue of ingesting lead by wetland birds, but I am not aware this is a terrestrial issue, particularly when compared with other contaminants in the environment! Most game eats the same feed as farmed stock these days, either by consuming farmed crops or being fed commercial feed. Although it is no doubt possible to detect trace elements of lead in game, there is no clear read through that this has any health consequences.

2. This is clear evidence of pressure groups bypassing normal process by influencing monopoly elements within the food supply chain. This needs to be challenged, not supported by representative bodies. There are serious lack of transparency issues with this whole affair!

I suggest we, as shooters, have been our own worst enemy here. By not cooperating and allowing the formation of a myriad of shooting organisations, we have been unable to react. Whilst we have no wish to seek US style gun ownership rights, there IMHO needs to be a realisation that we must become far more political in our efforts to resist the pressures on legitimate shooting activities in the UK.

Chicken

Old-Salt
They are pushing the ban on all lead projectiles here in Norway too.

It will cease all target shooting and biathlon events.

Considering this Nation is the largest exporter of Oil per capita,the use of environmental rhetoric on the desire to ban lead bullets is a little hard to swallow.....

ugly

LE
If anyone has access to Gun Trade News will be heartened to read the front page headlines, a response from the shotgun ammo manufacturers to the absolute lack of consultation by the shooting organisations with their members and those making the ammo.
Essentially cartridge manufacturers say that a lead alternative is not viable, Eley Hawk, Gamebore, Hull Cartridges and Lyalvale Express argue that doing this within a five year window without significant support is impossible.

itchy300

Old-Salt
If anyone has access to Gun Trade News will be heartened to read the front page headlines, a response from the shotgun ammo manufacturers to the absolute lack of consultation by the shooting organisations with their members and those making the ammo.
Essentially cartridge manufacturers say that a lead alternative is not viable, Eley Hawk, Gamebore, Hull Cartridges and Lyalvale Express argue that doing this within a five year window without significant support is impossible.

Nice to see at least one part of the shooting community/industry sticking together hahaha

ugly

LE
Nice to see at least one part of the shooting community/industry sticking together hahaha
Concerns over cost and pressures are to the fore, Eley Hawk asked what needs to go first, plastics or lead?

Mick9abf

War Hero
What you mean, that post **** up and in an attempt to stop haemorrhaging members whilst never being an organisation to admit ‘fault’ BASC giving a press release saying that they are actively ‘lobbying’ and asking the government for financial support for cartridge manufacturers to develop viable alternatives means there’s nothing to worry about.......... other than the fact the government wouldn’t be that interested in giving money to cartridge manufacturers before Covid-19 as it is too small an industry to effect anything they are trying to achieve. I’d now say the chances for this now are slim to zilch!!!

Latest Threads