Lead shot

I'm afraid that you slightly lost me at '100 plus grand'. To those who can afford that kind of money for a gun (or is it a pair?), the cost of replacement barrels would be an inconvenience rather than a calamity, or so it seems to me.
The best British guns were said to have been built between the wars , @Ravers may be able to confirm this .
The people that own them are not multi millionaires , they're people who on the whole have inherited them , and may be asset rich , hardly ever cash rich .
The value as much as anything is in the originality of the gun . Replacement barrels do not add value , but rather detract and these people will not for k out £,000's for a replacement
I suspect there will be an interesting illicit trade in lead cartridges for a few years

ugly

LE
I meant that, as lead is an accumulating poison, having your game birds scoffing shot might not be the best idea.
I'm not being awkward or argumentative. As I said further up, lead fishing weights are banned and the lead shot on the banks left by anglers was minuscule compared to the amount of shot put into the environment by shooters.
The quantities of shot fired at game is minuscule compared to a clay layout and even they get lead recovery planned every few years

ugly

LE
I meant that, as lead is an accumulating poison, having your game birds scoffing shot might not be the best idea.
I'm not being awkward or argumentative. As I said further up, lead fishing weights are banned and the lead shot on the banks left by anglers was minuscule compared to the amount of shot put into the environment by shooters.
More damage caused by discarded bird’s nests than lead weights, you were all lied to

The quantities of shot fired at game is minuscule compared to a clay layout and even they get lead recovery planned every few years
I note from the original post links that they are only talking about live quarry. Clay can continue to use lead I assume.

marty870

War Hero
Its a lefty attempt to stop shooting nothing else.
But it's the people who are supposed to represent us that want to implement this.
I would have expected this from Corbyn but not from "our side".

ugly

LE
But it's the people who are supposed to represent us that want to implement this.
I agree it’s been a long push from the Eu!

ugly

LE
I note from the original post links that they are only talking about live quarry. Clay can continue to use lead I assume.
That may have more to do with the deleading of clay grounds! Frankly as we don’t sell our game it won’t be a problem for us!

That is the impression I am getting.
' Our side' are giving up without a fight, just going along with it.
And at a time when Lefties haven't been so emasculated for 20+ years......

The best British guns were said to have been built between the wars , @Ravers may be able to confirm this .
The people that own them are not multi millionaires , they're people who on the whole have inherited them , and may be asset rich , hardly ever cash rich .
The value as much as anything is in the originality of the gun . Replacement barrels do not add value , but rather detract and these people will not for k out £,000's for a replacement
I suspect there will be an interesting illicit trade in lead cartridges for a few years
Supposedly lead cartridges will still be available for clay shooting , no doubt there will be an increase in clay shooters using No 4,5 and 6.

4(T)

LE

Pretty much every organisation in the country is now running in fear of the thugs of the Left.

Imagine one of the signatories refusing to back this bit of virtue-signalling? They'd be hounded out of the job and quite possibly hounded through social media and the press.

With every political party now somewhere on the Left, there is no longer any centrist or "c"onservative leadership that might take a moral stand against this flood of cultural ethnic cleansing.

itchy300

Old-Salt
I would have thought that discarded cartridges and plastic wads were a bigger environmental issue tbh.
Almost certainly, regardless where the plastic ends up (ocean etc...) there is nothing worse than walking a field dotted with discarded plastic cartridges, if nothing else it shows a lack of respect for the land or shoot owner and not picking up your empties is just poor fieldcraft.

I switched to fibre wadded paper cartridges a few years ago and can't tell the difference, if I do miss one picking up I'm not too bothered.

With societies current obsession with cutting down on single use plastics this is the obvious choice to virtue signal how 'on message' we are and would've been an easy win

Supposedly lead cartridges will still be available for clay shooting , no doubt there will be an increase in clay shooters using No 4,5 and 6.
Making lead shot is not exactly rocket science. Without a shot tower, they may not be perfect, but the bird being shot doesn't know that.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
Don’t know if the link will copy over, apologies if it doesn’t.

Basically the cartridge manufacturers saying they were not consulted and don’t support the voluntary lead shot ban. They say there are not alternatives in the quantity required.

For me this story is about organisations representing shooters not consulting them or the industry before this support of the voluntary ban.
For what it’s worth. I think both lead shot and single use plastics are doomed. We should be working with and encouraging industry to come up with viable affordable alternatives particularly for older guns that can’t take steel shot.

The ban has clusterf@@k written all over it and alienates the organisations from their support base as we face yet another attack on game shooting.

You couldn’t make it up. I seriously questioned whether this shouldn’t be in the emperor mong thread, this could be up there with his finest work.

I will use steel and plastic wads in my modern but cheap guns proofed for them and pick the wads afterwards as I will be using them mainly from hides.

My old sidelock will stay on lead and fibre wad until I can get affordable alternatives that don’t destroy the gun.

***BREAKING NEWS*** The UK cartridge manufacturers have issued a joint statement in response to that released by BASC, the Countryside Alliance et al on Monday 24th February, concerning LEAD SHOT. Read the full statement below.

Last edited:

Mick9abf

War Hero
I voted with my feet and after almost 2 decades have binned BASC - useless other than for insurance which I have found for £40 for the same cover with the Scottish Gamekeepers Association who actually have their members interests at heart.

I sent them this, not that it’ll bother them much:

I have cancelled my membership which I meant to do prior to renewal after the GL debacle and your unwillingness to spend members subscriptions to actually combat threats to shooting.

I’m afraid the latest lead shot announcement was the straw that broke the camels back, while I agree with plastics requiring to be biodegradable and think paper cases for cartridges is a good idea you have not only sold your members down the river but have played into the anti field sports fraternity’s hands.

How about using some of the members money to actually finance an independent peer reviewed scientific paper on lead shot - that would have been proactive.

Members are fed up with “contact your MP” and we will ‘lobby politically’ sound bites which is your answer to any challenge rather than spending money.

I fully expect you to not take any notice of this but the way things are going you won’t have many members left.

A lot of people now use you for insurance but alas even this is more expensive when the SGA offers the same protection for less money and have a vested interest in the people who pay this subscription and will encourage friends to do the same.

ugly

LE
I use 7.5 for everything

ugly

LE
When I used to reload, my favourite was 35gm of 7 shot. Very effective against most quarry.
To be honest if you can’t kill it with an ounce then you need to shoot straight

Latest Threads