Lead shot

Lead IS harmful. My question would be: "Is lead shot used in hunting particularly dangerous?"

*edit* If not received at high velocity!
My premise "Lead is harmful in scattered seed sized portions"

ETA: To the shooters, why would you want to contaminate the food you might want to consume?

All of the scientific evidence endorses the fact that lead is not good for you, that's why they banned it in petrol.
I would argue that I was exposed to much more as a kid simply by breathing than eating the occasional pheasant.

But then again I am M M M,Mad.

Birds aren't stupid.
I am honestly not against game shooting. I just think that the argument or questions about using lead particulate shot requires some regulation, just for its affect on the environment on fall of shot that does not kill by the first effort.

I am not a hunter but for years did a lot of trap shooting.
I don't understand the "single use plastic' bit. I always reloaded and everybody at my gun club reloaded the shells. Decent quality shells like Winchester AA can be reloaded a great many times. With my MEC reloader I could reload 100 shells in less time than it took for me to fire 100 shells at the trap club. Much cheaper too.

4(T)

LE
just for its affect on the environment on fall of shot that does not kill by the first effort.

But what is that effect?

The countryside doesn't appear to be strewn with poisoned animals, or sterile waterways. The food chain does not appear to be dangerous, except by regulation.

There doesn't seem to be any evident problem other than people saying "it must be bad".

Don't get me wrong; I'm not a game shooter, and I'm very concerned for fluffy and feathered things. I'm just not aware of any problems related to lead, let alone any the order of magnitude of other threats to the environment and human/animal health.

I do know that there is an overt agenda by the progressive Left to eliminate game shooting (and fishing, and animal farming..), and that these views permeate NGOs and government departments.

Soft brass shot and Silver amalgam shot. They are both antibacterial so must be good for the environment. ;)

hicky

Old-Salt
The replacement will be along shortly but at what price. Bismuth is errr too expensive( I wonder why the Irish geezer has been pushing it on the Shooting show) and steel has plastic wads....if your gun is proofed. I see the large corporate days becoming much more of an expensive affair.

303rifleman

Old-Salt
How many individuals, and whom ? ( names please ) are causing this to happen. ?
Is this inevitable ,or are we being steam-rollered ?
Can we ignore it , or tell them to **** off and will be their Nemesis at the hustings, in 4 and a bit years ?

I have'nt yet shot a high goose, know I'm never going to achieve it on steel shot, and object to twats telling me that amount of lead spread about is hurting the Planet.

( I have only had 3 pints ,with a mate , and in a good mood.

I am not ready for a lead ban, and neither is my s/s

Attachments

ugly

LE
OK, no response.
So, firing lead into the environment is acceptable because?
Surely, this is something that should be addressed and I speak as a hunt/game supporter?
The risk of lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead is miniscule. Tests show that persons who have eaten lead shot game have lower levels of lead in their blood than people who have drunk water from lead pipes all their lives.
Its a lefty attempt to stop shooting nothing else.

ugly

LE
If you venture up north then you will see vast tracts of moors where shooting has gone on for at least couple of centuries.
The fact is that birds will not eat lead shot. The problem with wildfowling is that the game, hoover up the stuff indiscriminatly in the shallows, and so quite rightly this has been legislated against.
False data was used in that, the birds tested were already dead and found with lead shot ingested, no evidence offered that this was the cause of death.

ugly

LE
My premise "Lead is harmful in scattered seed sized portions"

ETA: To the shooters, why would you want to contaminate the food you might want to consume?
Its been proven that eating game shot with lead is less harmful than drinking water from lead pipes and they aren't yet eradicated.

ugly

LE
I do know that there is an overt agenda by the progressive Left to eliminate game shooting (and fishing, and animal farming..), and that these views permeate NGOs and government departments.
I do know that farming poisons more water supply with Nitrate run off than lead shot ever will. Want to pay more for your food?

The risk of lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead is miniscule. Tests show that persons who have eaten lead shot game have lower levels of lead in their blood than people who have drunk water from lead pipes all their lives.
Its a lefty attempt to stop shooting nothing else.
I meant that, as lead is an accumulating poison, having your game birds scoffing shot might not be the best idea.
I'm not being awkward or argumentative. As I said further up, lead fishing weights are banned and the lead shot on the banks left by anglers was minuscule compared to the amount of shot put into the environment by shooters.

I would have thought that discarded cartridges and plastic wads were a bigger environmental issue tbh.

Latest Threads