Lead & Gold

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jul 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

This should probably go in the "gaming bargains" thread, but I can't be arsed looking for it and I reckon this deserves a thread of its own.

"Lead & Gold" is an indie game currently available for free on PC, this weekend only - you've got about 7 hours left at the time of posting. It's only a fiver to buy, as well. Apparently it's also available on XBox.

Basically it's a lot like Team Fortress - red vs. blue, class-based online shooter. However, it's made by a small Scandinavian company and published solely through Steam. It's based in the Wild West, and while the GFX aren't awe-inspiring, they're still pretty sexy and fit the game well. The levels are pretty awesome too. It has some pretty unique power-up systems in place which supposedly encourage more co-operation, as you get more regen and buffs when you're in the vicinity of your teammates. Oh, and it's third-person (a la Splinter Cell).

Currently the free weekend is giving it some trouble - it's not got a massive infrastructure because it's only an indie title, so all the extra players are giving it some serious lag. That said, if you can find a half-decent dedicated server in Europe, with a ping <180, and you don't get kicked out of the game at random, it's a LOT of fun. I believe it's based on the Source engine, although I could be wrong, but either way the minimum specs don't seem to be all that intensive. Any computer with a GPU made in the last two or three years should nail it.

I highly recommend you give it a swift go. I'll be splashing out the fiver just to see how well it plays with good servers after tonight. I think it could be right up the street of a lot of people in here.

2. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Just to confirm, with the free weekend now well and truly over (and in spite of it generating enough sales to push L&G up to number one in the Steam charts), the game is definitely a LOT more playable now. My recommendation just got even stronger :)