Lead free, how long?

Following on from the 'Lead free ammo' thread from last year.
Gunmart flopped onto my doormat this morning with a piece about lead free air pellets. Air guns are not my thing but are we seeing 'mission creep' or 'thin edge of the wedge'? If so, how long will it be, realistically, till a UK wide ban on lead bullets of all types for civvie shooters?

Back in 2012 there was the thread about lead-free armies, how much more closer are we to that rubbish even?

There was mention at the HBSA AGM on Saturday that the Norwegians are finding problems with lead-free ammunition. I don't remember what they are worrying about but apparently lead-free isn't all beer and skittles

Isn't gold the closest thing to lead in density?

There's your answer.

How about Depleted Uranium. I understand this stuff is highly dense and if it works would seem to both satisfy shooter's needs and please the anti-lead lobby.

I think it might be something mad like Hafnium or Tungsten but there maybe barrel wear issues with Tungsten, just a guess :)

lead free ammo was causing repsiroty problems when the Swedes were fielding it.

lead free airgun pellets have been around for years -- also fishing weights - and of course petrol ( leaded makes kids stupid apparently if the breathe in the exhaust - how can they tell ?? so the switch to 'lead-free' means it gives off benzene, a carcinogenic -- nice choice)

Can YOU chicken wing a pistol?

How about Depleted Uranium. I understand this stuff is highly dense and if it works would seem to both satisfy shooter's needs and please the anti-lead lobby.

All good suggestions. I don't know why these firearmists are complaining.

ugly

LE
Rumours abound that the last lead smelting plant in the US has been closed down!

People will pay top dollah for that nonsense

And how the feck are you supposed to move from the Sh1thouse Squat position there?

And how the feck are you supposed to move from the Sh1thouse Squat position there?

It makes oi want to drink coider till oi falls down so oi forgets about it, it does.

Seriously now, if you plonk the moniker "Israeli...........", or "Special Forces ............." or best yet "Israeli Special Forces" into the name, technique or description of a shooting school you will mint it.

Having watched "American xspurts" shooting on the range there seems to be more learning by osmosis rather than a fully structured methodology. Its all so laid back, lah di dah, airy fairy and agreement on everything by committee.

I've been on one course run by a former Sarfie who is now pushing up the daisies and he got a grip in that best Platoon Sgt/Sgt Maj manner the same way he was taught by the Sarfie Army (essentially Brit Skill at Arms based). Its the reason he was bought over here by Jeff Cooper, people loved his approach manner and no BS attitude on the range. There are a couple of former Aussies around too who run courses based on the Oz Skill at Arms method and people love them. I have done a couple of sessions at the club where people were trying to learn shooting from war comics so I gave them a skill at arms session and it went down great

When I finally stop moving around here next year I was thinking about offering up lessons and seeing how it goes. I have a bloke local to me who does loads of tactical and defensive shooting courses, touts himself as an expert, wears all the 5.11 and desert boots. He is a feckin carpenter/builder, he got into it because of the work drop off when the recession started, he was just Mr Average shooter, did the 2 day NRA instructor course and a couple of other courses and now charges groups of 6 shooters $300 each for a weekends "instruction".

You can come over and assist if you want.

It's like doing the Haka with a plastic pistol......

On the doodie project they post all kinds of videos of tacticool instructors doing outright dangerous stuff, and very lame stuff - the Tactical Turtle Tuck position with the arms stretched right out and the head scrunched in between them, for instance. Always lots of jerky, robot movements followed by the baby owl head shake after firing a couple of rounds at 3 yards distance. "Let's move back to 7 yards for an accuracy test".....

Latest Threads