Lead by example???? Er no actually

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by whatnow?, Sep 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Because everyone is as perfect as you. I'm not saying it's right that he hasn't done a PFT, but I'm fairly certain he isn't the only one. McChrystal was also a super-fitness freak, but he's also been sacked...so like I said, we're not all perfect, are we?

To be honest, I couldn't give a **** if the CGS was a bit porky. I just care that he helps develop a coherent strategy, because we have lots of super fit soldiers cutting about Helmand but as far as I can see there isn't a strategy. If I had the choice, I know what I'd choose. How about you? And at least he paid for it himself.

2. Stormin' Norman was'nt exactly anorexic either. Did'nt stop him doing his job.

3. I am not perfect.Does he get an allowance for his clothes ?? I dont know so credit to him for stumping up his cash anyway !

These are the people that make the strategy do you not believe it would be better if they lead by example ?
    Mc Chrystal didnt say what the new messiah wanted and got fecked off .........at least he spoke up before he retired! seems to be the norm for our leaders to retire and then speak up for the forces and what the problems are!
    A strategy by the military usually falls down when they involve politicians.....................................

As for Stormin Norm he inspired his troops ........ive seen loads of fat septics

4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

IIRC according to his book he often led his men on long route marches

I am off the mind that if he's setting the standards for others to live up to he should either be able to complete them himself or get out
    Rules are Rules just because you make them dosen't mean you shouldn't abide by them

5. He's 55, para trained and a General. I think he has already led by example.

Now, sir, about us legless feckers getting promoted.

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

What if he says no as you can't pass the fitness test that he set but hasn't done himself for 10 years?

7. "What if he says no as you can't pass the fitness test that he set but hasn't done himself for 10 years"

How do we know he hasn't done the fitness test? This is the daily mail after all, not exacty a renowned bastion of journalistic accuracy.

Still trying to spot the story here - will next weeks be filled with stories of fat warrant officers who've not emerged from their offices for 10 years, or is it only the seniors in the army who get castigated in public?

8. As exciting as it seems, this is a bit of a non-story. I'm sure that the good General as much as anyone would like to be able to prance around a PFT in 10 and a half (if anyone would like to point out the PFT standard for a 55 year old, it might be helpful). Indeed, I am sure that he has covered that distance in a lot less than that in his past and would put most ARSSErs to shame. As for getting fitted for new service dress, I would think so, CGS is a very important role for which looking the part in SD is a regular requirement. I would venture that most senior officers need to take the plunge and get measured for new SD at some stage, its a requirement of rank and role.

It goes without saying but as this is ARRSE I'll say it anyway; as CGS General Wall has my utmost respect and confidence. We will do exceedingly well with him at the helm.

9. he should have got a shiny new FAD uniform, making a saving of £1000, which he could have spent on new treadmill /pies /etc etc

10. By Crab Air standards he is a fit, healthy and toned gentleman.

On a slightly more serious note - has anyone considered what he is doing instead of going to the gym or running? He is almost certainly at this time with budget cuts everywhere putting minimum of 14 hours (probably more) a day into not only his usual job but also now fighting accountants in the treasury and elsewhere who know the price of everything and the value of nothing to keep some of the cash from the budget that the military needs leaving him no time for anything else.

Unless I see an article where he announces that he leaves his desk at 4pm every day to head to a roman style banquet where you are sick between courses to make room for the next I will assume that the Mail is editing facts (would they?) and quoting ill advised and petty gossip from an officer who should have known better than to repeat it, and trying to discredit him for doing his job rather than pursuing personal enjoyment in the gym.

11. How can he grip people for failing a BFT when he can't pass one and hasn't done one in the last 10 years.

Naughty naughty pie eating Para.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I hear that Lord Prescott of Pies is to become Colonel in Chief of the Parachute Regiment later on in the year.

12. He'd be considered of medium build on the Herc Fleet.

13. Is it not the case that for a gentleman of his advanced years who is still serving, the fitness test simply has to be attempted? I recall a reservist who deployed on my last tour, who just had to turn up to his BFT to get a tick in the box.

14. Rayc

Rayc RIP

He may look rather large, but one cannot say he does not have a personality.

If he is a Paratrooper, then I am sure he should still be fitter than his contemporaries.

Is his brains sharp? Can he plan a campaign? Can he walk (even if not run 40 kms which we have to do)? If so, it makes no difference if he cannot keep up with a 20 year old!

On a humorous note, I would be wary of Generals who can run 40 kms since they may bolt into the blue even before one realises that he (the soldier) is left holding the can! :)