LE Officers.....Drowning our respectable corps?

I have to ask does anyone share my view? It is for the (true Blue) this question is aimed at. This Corps is beginning to be swamped by LE officers (from other Arms) who know nothing of how Aviation works and our mentality towards the job? I am beginning to lose faith when I am faced with at times absolute imbeciles who are "bumpin up the pension" it does my fookin swede in!

Whinge ends.

Littlejonny. :oops:

Yes indeed it is an apparent problem and one with no solution as long as the powers that be, generously give away our LE posts of which there will soon be more. I find it despicable that I may be rejected at some time in the future. In place of an outsider who knows nothing of the AAC, I even new one who was scared of helicopters for peat’s sake.

There are many who have succeed at deceiving the board into believing how much they could bring to the party, only to fail at the first hurdle.

On the other side of the coin some of the so called true-blue who may or may not be serving in a Regt near you and were lucky enough to be selected commissioned may not be up to much either.

I do believe in order to function in the AAC as an LE Officer you must have a solid background in field in which you are to be employed. So perhaps they should interview for specific jobs within the Corps. But you know as well as I do behind, every good officer there is a great SNCO.

LE non AAC buggers!!

Got loads of em at 3.

Complete c*@t intrg wing an ex infantryman, and anRCMO fromthe REME bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had to correct said trg wing bloke that u don't use 4 tonners for crossed vehicle headlight emergency HLS!!!! he is an HHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong as fcuk!!

Lynxeffect said...
Complete c*@t intrg wing an ex infantryman, and anRCMO fromthe REME bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The above mentioned was attempting to tell me haw a FARP works?????Run onto my fist Sir!

What am I doing here mummy said it would be good for me.....

I wanted to say something to defend said LE's but I couldnt think of anything........but then I thought "when did the Corps ever do anything for the good and benefit of its personnel rather than its perceived public image?"

In other words "If your already in the corps then we have no advertising requirement or need of you other than doing your daily chores."

I'll have you know that Master Chef is a jolly nice bloke with a big potfolio..........somebody mentioned to me the other day. Well at least the curry lunch after the public duties stint should be good.

I can't believe you didn't see it coming, first the Guards to sort out the drill, then the chefs to sort out the grub. The pull through should be obvious...the next batch will be Pioneers to organise the clear up and possibly someone from the PT Corps to head up the large adventure training planned fro next year.

Still maybe he will bring the answer for PAYD at What-er-shame and get all the blokes in the cookhouse again...maybe not.
Still after the 2007 celebrations they should all have just enough aviation experience to realise that we refer to them as cabs not 'choppers'...(now that was a den of sin), and that TAR is a vehicle not a posh way of saying thanks.

I did here that one of the current non blue LE's CV for commisioning experience in the aviation world (remember 1 years Aviation experience required) was tasking and controlling aviation assets at various levels of command. This then actually decoded as he'd put a Helquest in once.

Still the workings of an AH Regiment with all it brings can't be that difficult to work out, can it? Little Jonny seems to have grasped it!

B

Biscuits_AB

lynxeffectLOL! said:
LE non AAC buggers!!

Got loads of em at 3.

Had to correct said trg wing bloke that u don't use 4 tonners for crossed vehicle headlight emergency HLS!!!! he is an HHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong as fcuk!!
Your RCMO might be the 'nut strangler' posting on the Sgts Mess thread about LEs in the Mess. If it is, he sounds like a right chopper, pardon the pun.

Biscuits_AB said:
Your RCMO might be the 'nut strangler' posting on the Sgts Mess thread about LEs in the Mess. If it is, he sounds like a right chopper, pardon the pun.
This Ex REME ASM also had NO LSSA days when he recieved his commission, i'll say that again NONE, NOTHING, NIL, NADA

What did MCM div think he was bringing to the party?

I have a sneaking suspicion they did not give a (non) flying fu*k

All we really want is an commissioned hierarchy that we can respect be looked after by, work for, and ultimately wish to join the ranks of.

Thats probably why we have seen some really good SNCO's exit stage left as soon as possible........

Thats probably why we have seen some really good SNCO's exit stage left as soon as possible........
I spent 10 years in the AAC, I do not regret leaving. I do regret leaving the army at that stage though.

Here in lies my mistake, having been AAC for so long I thought it would be too difficult to fit in anyware else. That includes an offer to join the DERRs.

I should have seen the light a long time before, there were "t shirts" with, "will the last person to leave the AAC please turn the lights out" This was in the late 70s early 80s. So what has changed?

From the post's I have seen here feck all.

Excellent work littlejonnny - about time this subject was talked about. Some of these idiots have clearly bullshIted their way in and are getting found out pretty quick. The former 3 AAC trg offr being a case in point. All ranks have duty to test these LEs so they can be found out now and not when it really matters. Drunken fingerpoking isn't the answer cause the're probably used to that but it shouldn't be to hard to trip up a few ex grunts! :D :lol:

I think one of the more worrying aspects of the recent commisioning board seems to be the myopia that they, the board, suffer from. Now it seems to me that with an able staffie most re-tread LEs can help run FARP/FOBs - Most LEs in their previous incarnation (ASM, Donkey-Walloper or whatever) probably had some contact with vehicle husbandry/road movement orders etc so that the jump is'nt that massive. However out of the re-treads how many of them will be able to perform the duties of the RSO, especially with the advent of Bowman? I think, maybe wrongly, that even our present encumbants with all their years of signals experience will find the task pretty demanding. I'm sure that the board considered, with a vast port-folio a Chief Burger flipper will manage admirally with the intricacies of the various communication systems we now use, PPA etc etc.....umm?
Having previously worked under several "non-AAC" RSOs all of them, bar one, we're pretty much useless and the RSWO & Tp staffie had to supervise them - the Silver fox was a gleaming example of this..and he was a ex-Scaly (RD granted)! So for those re-tread LEs reading this -you'd better start treating your comms "geeks" better or your arrse is going to get bitten very soon! :lol:

Before you can complain about incomming LE officers, you need to understand why they are here.

Firstly, The AAC True Blue Corps WO & Sgts Mess could not have sustained the level of expansion that the Corps has experienced over the past six years. This would have resulted in personnel being promoted above their own level of ability from the onset. Over this period, there has been approx 50/50 AAC, Other Arms commissions into the Corps.

Secondly: The AAC itself is reletively insular with limited potential for SNCOs and WOs to serve away from the Corps. The introduction of external personnel brings experience from other areas to enrichen the corps ability to operate in the wider Army and tri service environment.

If you feel as strongly about the subject as it would appear, have the balls to come forward and address it formally through your chain of command as at presently it sounds a little like sour grapes. Also if the cap fits, wear it as it is your responsibility to educate these people in the ways of the Corps.

We must not forget that the AAC is a relatively young Corps and also one that has gone through a technological advance akin to the Infantry moving from Redcoats to IRR DPM SAS Smocks in a matter of a few decades.

Whilst I am an ex "True Blue" on arrival at my first squadron (663 circa 1989) my SSM was still cap-badged a Woofer, 53's was RGJ and most of the rest of the WOs were of similar ilk. Indeed a SSGT of 62 had a sky blue beret shaped like a TOS with a Scottish regimental cap badge. Some of these blokes were bloody good bosses regardless of cap-badge.

I would like to think that the current Corps has the abilty to recognise that regardless of cap-badge history, it's how these LEs look after their troops that will their biggest judgement. Scutterbandit I'm sure if you worked with "silver fox" I'm positive you would remember his replacement, who the WHOLE Regiment held in high regard.

Trahere

If you want to discuss it, ask away.

Yep I came from the other side of the fence and am proud to be a member of the Corps. The vast majority of my peer group were Sgts, SSgts & WOs serving within the same units and messes as me. They are better than me in some areas than me and visa versa.

Just because you didnt origionally wear an AAC metal cap badge as a soldier doesn't mean that you know **** all about the corps or how it works.....

Trahere, as we are of the same "circa" -3 regt 1989 I too remember the various cap badged Seniors etc in fact my first SSM, was probably still the best one I had - a certain no nonense RA ex-boxer. Additionally to that I do remember the silver foxes replacement, but I moved on to sunnier climes and didn't work with him, however the fact that he is now a LtCol at DAAvn probably proves he was very much an exception rather than a rule!
The fact that in the dim and distan past we had other cap badges at certain Senior ranks, was due to Corps expansion; we no longer require this experience/backfill in our Corps as we have matured and can more or less( :wink: ) fill these posts adequately from within. With regard to LEs we have probably reached the same point with them; yes you can drag out the same arguement ""they can bring other skills to the Corps"..yadda yadda. Well what the f*ck are they? I have yet to see, at my level, them bring anything to the Corps, that any of our SNCOs can provide, should they wish defect to the darkside. My concern is that the current board, brought in no one that appears to be able to ake on anything more demanding that Welfare/RCMO type duties. At least on last years(?) Commisioning board they appointed some one with Bowman (BOWTAT?) experience, who I believe is the Bowman fielding officer at 4.
In short I'm am yet to be convinced that the majority of the current crop of LEs are of any benefit to us as a Corps...clearly by the postings of buddy-dodah demonstrate a raw nerve has been touched; so what did you bring to the party the cake or Arrse? What does fact that " your peer group were Sgts, SSgts & WOs serving within the same units and messes" mean exactly and what does that bring to the Corps? Finally of course it is easy to educate people in the ways of the Corps...plenty of time for that :roll:!

I fully see your point of view regards the downscale of the inflow from exterior regiments. The board this year was considerably smaller than in previous years and prehaps it could have been filled from inside the Corps, however if you took 7 WOs on commission, who would fill your RSM slots. I think I am correct in assuming that it is going to be difficult to fill all the available slots at WO1 in the Corps already.

I personnaly would like to think that in my 6 years with the Corps so far, I have served up a lot more cake than arse. I have filled the Welfare and RCMO post but also done the MTO and 2IC HQ Sqn role. I don't think you struck a nerve with me, more likley a chord. In answer to your point about my peer group.. I have stood on the FARP loading TOW missiles, moved Aircraft around the deck on ships and worked in the field Army with AAC Sqns for my whole career.

In order to discuss this further, I think it would be good to look at what you perceive the role of the LE officer within the Corps actually is. Just to start you all off, Why do I need to be able to site a FARP if have a WO2, 2 SSgt, 3 Sgts and 4 Cpls who can do that for me. Would it not be better for me to correctly manage, command and control these individuals in order to ensure they have the skills, men and resourses to do this instead of me doing it myself. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Scutterbandit I pulled the plug on the Corps a few years back now. It seemed then (1997) that our SNCOs amd WOs were getting the positions they deserved, what has changed since? Definately be interested to know as I would probably know a few blokes thinking of getting their pips up. Understand the rules of the board reference names but I know most WOs at my time were True Blue.

That Scottish pugilist you refer to was also one of my SSMs at 3Regt. On exercise he always smelt like a bed of roses. His bottom right pocket on his combat jacket was filled with assorted herbal tea bags and one of his treats was to surprise himself with a different cuppa and challenge others in the CP to identify if it was cammomile, cinnamon or Jamaica's finest. Excellent bloke, liked to give you a swift kidney punch with a smile. :D Jamaica's finest nutmeg that is.