Le Mans 1955

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by No.9, May 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Before it disappears (for sure to return anon), if not already seen catch this docu on BBC4.
    Wed 26 May 2010 - 23:00
    Thu 27 May 2010 - 03:20

Worst ever motor racing crash with detailed slo-mo analysis of the massacre – @ 80 dead, @ 120 injured. Your decision if you want to point the finger at one person, but I think it shows a combination of design factors and people that panned out so bad.

Chance to hear from some of the remaining drivers – unfortunately not Stirling Moss? – and footage of such as ‘Mr Benchmark’, Fangio, and our own Mike Hawthorn.

Alternately view on the iPlayer thing at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sfptx as and when.

2. Another chance to see - on your big screen - Sunday 6 June at 22.00.

And, an hour previous a prog featuring Stirling Moss. He was the driver paired with The Fangio at the '55 Le Mans, so perhaps in this prog he might offer some insight?

He's in the prog apparently to talk about severe crash recovery? Certainly he had his share as one of Britain's iconic racing drivers of all time - certainly from the days when cars were beasties and racing was 'bare knuckle' :salut:

Being the BB-bumfluff-C of course, they've included a pet diminutive mong who’s sole claim to 'fame' (I jest) is the inability to drive in a straight line? Then again, perhaps he's there as a joke???

3. At what time exactly do they show the crash?
  4. Various footage is shown throughout the docu, plus witness interviews, but the slo-mo and overlay etc is in the last @ 15 mins I suppose.

5. I was there.

Mike Hawthorn did a last minute pull into the pits from centre of the track by what appeared to be an emergency stop.

Lance Macklin who was behind him had to avoid rear ending Hawthorns car.

Pierre Levegh, known as 'The Bishop' was travelling at maximum knots, glanced off the back of Macklins car and rolled over the barrier into the crowd.

Macklin was the only innocent party here.

Levegh was driving the full 24 hours solo, no co-driver, and was undoubtedly very tired, if not knackered.

Hawthorn did not use his mirror when he slowed, and so was the real instigator of the accident.

Tragic for everyone involved and I don't think Hawthorn ever got over the guilt of it.

6. Frankly I think you are telling porkies. You could not have been there. Had you really been there you would have known that the accident happened just over 2 hours after the start of the race. Thus for you to suggest that he "was undoubtedly very tired, if not knackered" is utter rubbish. All the more so as Levegh had proved himself capable - just three years earlier he had driven for 23 hours and was in the lead - and only dropped out at the 23 hour point when his engine failed.
  8. Could have been the kiddie referred to? The one that got his head whipped off while up on his dad's shoulders :roll:

9. If you haven't already seen it, this is worth a look:

Mike Hawthorn driving a D-type round Le Mans in 1956, with on-board camera and commentary.
    Not quite full speed, but the roads are open to the public.........................

10. Oh dear, 'Hammond meets Moss', sooo disappointing, not a word from Moss on Le Mans :cry:

Some interesting Moss chat, but overall :thumbdown: May keep about a five minute edit?

However, as it features a BBumfluffC favourite, it's of course being repeated, and repeated, and repeated.......blah, blah, blah. Now, in the recent Dunkerque focus they (perhaps inadvertently) showed an outstanding 30 year old docu on the topic which really ticked ALL the boxes. Is that being repeated - is it bollox. [​IMG]