• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

LE and DE Officers in the RLC

#1
What is the general feeling about LE as compared to DE Officers?

It would sometimes seem that the RLC shoots itself in the foot by ony accepting WO1 applications.

I recall about 5 years ago a large number of MTI/MSI WO2 realised they would never get to WO1 rank due lack of places. The RLC would not accept them due to being WO2 and were welcomed with open arms into the RAMC as LE Captains.

This is apparently repeating itself with an AT WO2 being offered a place in the RE.
 
#6
Sir Rowley Birkin QC said:
Marvellous! been saying we should poach some tame wedge for ages.
Presumably these can only be Capts that are unable to secure an IRC or Reg C with the Sappers. There can be no other possible explanation for them wanting to transfer. Given time, they will probably make at least 1* rank in the RLC.
 
#9
Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
Sir Rowley Birkin QC said:
Marvellous! been saying we should poach some tame wedge for ages.
Presumably these can only be Capts that are unable to secure an IRC or Reg C with the Sappers. There can be no other possible explanation for them wanting to transfer. Given time, they will probably make at least 1* rank in the RLC.
Could someone tell me if it is a prerequisite of a Sapper Officer to have no charisma / personality on joining or is it surgically removed on the Tp Comd’s cse?
 
#10
Ford_Prefect said:
Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
Sir Rowley Birkin QC said:
Marvellous! been saying we should poach some tame wedge for ages.
Presumably these can only be Capts that are unable to secure an IRC or Reg C with the Sappers. There can be no other possible explanation for them wanting to transfer. Given time, they will probably make at least 1* rank in the RLC.
Could someone tell me if it is a prerequisite of a Sapper Officer to have no charisma / personality on joining or is it surgically removed on the Tp Comd’s cse?
Please tell me that you are only having a laugh and that you don't actually believe the drivel that you write. What would anyone in the RLC know about charisma?

Following your line of reasoning (in the loosest sense of the word) is it also a prerequisite for all RLC officers to come in the bottom 20% at Sandhurst?
 
R

really?_fascinating

Guest
#11
Ethel

Don't bite, I am sure he was only baiting you - and of course mediocre Sappers will make RLC 1 star. I for one am terrified at the thought of such august competition....
 
#12
TA RLC would be dead and gone by now if we hadn't had so many WO2s willing to accept a LE Commission. And not just TA WO2s - fairly standard source of new Offrs now is to Commission a Reg WO2 "leaver" into the TA.

As a one pip-wonder away back when it was usually the LE Capt in the Unit who pulled my ass out of the proverbial. And far more often than I care to admit :D
 
#13
General Melchett said:
This is apparently repeating itself with an AT WO2 being offered a place in the RE.
I was under the impression that the RE only accepted WO1 applicants for commission (as do the RLC), unless you are a graduate.
There even reluctant to commission CoW's, who they desperately require to fill GE posts, until they are WO1 (unless they have gained a degree).
So an AT (non Degree), must be f**king awesome (I await the typical Loggie "Of course were awesome" replies)!!!
 
#14
Ford_Prefect said:
Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
Sir Rowley Birkin QC said:
Marvellous! been saying we should poach some tame wedge for ages.
Presumably these can only be Capts that are unable to secure an IRC or Reg C with the Sappers. There can be no other possible explanation for them wanting to transfer. Given time, they will probably make at least 1* rank in the RLC.
Could someone tell me if it is a prerequisite of a Sapper Officer to have no charisma / personality on joining or is it surgically removed on the Tp Comd’s cse?
As usual Ford you have nothing constructive or useful to say on any topic.

I suspect you do not require DPM, you are so dull!
 
#20
As barbs says, without the LE officer, the RLC TA would have very few officers. It's not that simple or easy an option - I've known a few not get it, so it's more than a formality. (Which is the way it should be.)

The policy of only accepting WO1 as LE into the RLC seems a bit short sighted, and a slur on the WO2's out there who are more than capable of taking on a Troop Commander spot, as well as working as an SO3 in a Brigade/Division environment. To reach WO2 means filling either a technical specialist role or as SSM (where the emphasis might be discipline - but they're still expected to know their stuff in the field) and those are some of the skills required at Staff Officer level.

Is the WO1 policy a way of ensuring they only accept the cream? Or a cynical way of treating WO2s? ie "Play nicely and we'll promote you to WO1 and then you'll get a commission..."
 

Latest Threads