LCT 7074 - D Day veteran and other historic vessels

@instinct - do you know if there are any (other) preserved RFAs?

I was in Bideford not so long ago and saw an old ship, which turned out to be a water carrier from the late 1940s - RFA Freshspring. Restoration of her machinery continues and I think she is available for hire as a party venue.

SS-Freshspring-2021-1024x768.jpg
Other than the fact we are still running Argus I believe the Egyptian Navy have just taken on a couple?

I was aware of Freshspring although I haven't been able to see her.

Yokel

LE
Other than the fact we are still running Argus I believe the Egyptian Navy have just taken on a couple?

I was aware of Freshspring although I haven't been able to see her.

There is not much to see of Freshspring from the quayside, but there are a few pictures of her on the website set up by the restoration group - you will have to Google I am afraid. I did wonder if there were any preserved tankers or the like.

Describing Argus as a historic vessel will get you put on the naughty list!

There is not much to see of Freshspring from the quayside, but there are a few pictures of her on the website set up by the restoration group - you will have to Google I am afraid. I did wonder if there were any preserved tankers or the like.

Describing Argus as a historic vessel will get you put on the naughty list!
Heritage steamship, SS Freshspring, berthed in Bideford
ETA Name Freshspring | National Historic Ships
RFA Freshspring - Wikipedia
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/media/freshspring.39611/

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
This sort of belongs in this thread: Hartlepool’s Royal Navy Museum undergoes massive multi-million pound expansion

The expansion – part of a £20m investment in the town’s regeneration, including its historic waterfront – will put a roof over the head of RML 497, a motor launch which performed rescue duties extensively in the Channel and around the Orkneys in World War 2.

Alongside other historical galleries, the revamped retail park facilities will be converted into a reception, ticket office, shop, offices, and conservation workshops. In addition, there will be educational facilities – not just focusing on history, but also encouraging young people to tackle STEM subjects.

Latest Threads