Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by chocolate_frog, May 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking in to the purchase of one of these things in the near future....

But what should I look for? Any ideas for the perfect balance between cost and viewing pleasure? Or what most of the acronyms mean in real terms?
  2. Get one with HDMI.
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

plasma instead of LCD - better picture
  4. The forums on this site are full of people who know what to look for, and what the best deals are at the moment on all things LCD and plasma - go to the forums, and look under the Video Component section.

5. Not nessassarrily*.

(* that is not how you spell that word!)

It all depends on the logic circuits inside the set and how it handles and processes the info. Some are better at locking colour, others are better at fast moving pictures. It really depends on what you like and how much dosh you want to spend. Remember, there are only a couple of manufacturers who actually make the screens so most brands of TV will have the same screen but are a different price due to features and 'branding'.
  6. Can only report as follows....
    we have a Sony BRAVIA 46 inch LCD and is the nuts! saved a packet at costco too!
  7. look for internal harddrive (like tivo or skyplus+) digital freeview, HD Ready, that sort of thing
  8. So... they're not a 1098 item then?
  9. And what do you base that on? It's commonly accepted that below 37", LCD is better than plasma.
  10. Try here for a deal pretty good price wise and even with P&P the 42in I got from them wasc still £100 cheaper than Currys
  11. is excellent for finding bargains on TV's and well basically anything else really.
  12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Also IF you want it for HD Make sure it has a HDMI connector fitted.If it only has a DMI connector then you will need a DMI to HDMI adaptor & a set of sound leads.SCART is no use with HD tho.
  13. Preferably you want 2 HDMI connections if you can get them.
  14. You also want HDMI 1.3 if you want your PS3 to work in HD mode.

<rodger so far>
  15. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Matelot - Perhaps I made a wrong assumption but I was talking about 42"+. I'm not really switched on by the current standard of picure for LCD particulaly for watching sport. For that reason, I make my choice.

I won't disagree with you on the smaller screens and would probably need to review before another buy as LCD tech is moving on fast. However if money and size aren't the object, right now for a big screen, I remain a plasma fan.