Lawyers for Somali Pirates Blame US Navy and FBI for Hostage Deaths

Not at all. If you were the 'defense attorney' for these fellows you too would argue in their favour; that's the job of legal defence counsel. Whether that defence will wash is another story; I'd like to see the four go for an early bath, personally.

Not at all. If you were the 'defense attorney' for these fellows you too would argue in their favour; that's the job of legal defence counsel. Whether that defence will wash is another story; I'd like to see the four go for an early bath, personally.
Believe me, I fully understand how our "system" works.....or not. Setting aside the lawyering aspect, I think it is a fitting metaphor for the "blame others" meme that seems to characterize much of the world in which we live.

Believe me, I fully understand how our "system" works.....or not. Setting aside the lawyering aspect, I think it is a fitting metaphor for the "blame others" meme that seems to characterize much of the world in which we live.

It's your fault I'm getting fat.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
**throws JJH a frickin' bone**

It's not my fault, you didn't build it, George Bush made me do it, we must redistribute the wealth, it's those crazy white Christians with guns.

Lawyer has to come up with something.
The guilty bastard throws himself at the judges feet and begs for mercy never really works.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Lawyer gets paid. That's all he cares about.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
With such tortured "logic" as this I am even more convinced we are increasingly living in an "Alice in Wonderland" world where up is down and in is out.

Defense: Navy Actions Led to Pirate Hostage Deaths | Military.com
I believe lawyers have to act on their clients instructions, so this lawyer could in theory be doing what his clients ask.

I'm perfectly sure that his 20% of the multi-million dollar damages that could be claimed if he gets his clients off using this defence played absolutely no role in formulating this strategy.

Wordsmith

Followed by.. "she started to scream so I had to kill her to stop getting caught"

A defence only likely to stand up if it was a UK court and you were able to prove you came from a racially oppressed minority who had a bad start in life. Moral of story - get stopped by Royal Navy

With such tortured "logic" as this I am even more convinced we are increasingly living in an "Alice in Wonderland" world where up is down and in is out.

Defense: Navy Actions Led to Pirate Hostage Deaths | Military.com
If the seals had been a little more vigorous in their attack by shooting dead ALL of the pirates, who were obviously "fighting to the death" ;-) the problem with the trial would not have occured!!
Methinks this should always be the course of action with these scum, rather than give them some medecines, water & halal food to see them safely home ala Royal Navy :-(

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Get real. RoE are not set by the RN but by Govt lawyers. I can see where your O2 tag came from.

Seems reasonable to me:

Killing hostages generally leads to a considerable devaluation of their ransom, ergo reasonable to assume they aren't in immediate danger. Yank warship intervenes, keen to show a hard line as a deterrent to other pirates. Pirates try to warn off the Yanks with an RPG, fail, and assume the game is up so off their hostages to show an equally hard line to deter future rescuers. You can argue a tit for tat victory over the pirates, but it might have been nice to ask the hostages if they minded being collateral damage.