Laws on pistol ownership - total ignoramus - appologies now

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by oldcolt, Jul 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Possibly a bone post but I am totally clueless on all this so please forgive me in advance.

Just competed at Bisley in the Service Rifle TASAAM and did 'ok'. Didn't get the chance to fire on the pistol shoot except the laser Glock shoot but I used to do pretty good on the old Browning back in the day and would like to shoot it again. No chance of that in my unit BUT...

I wonder if it is possible to shoot issue type service pistol in civvy gun clubs; what license do I need, how much does it cost and how much will a basic pistol cost me? Anything else I need/ should know would be greatly appreciated - I live in West Cornwall so a link to a club near me would be helpfull too. Thanks :)

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Are you able to relocate to a European country where you will be treated like an adult?
    Otherwise no, the UK government do not consider you responsible enough to be allowed to own and shoot a 9mm pistol.
    Sorry.

3. No.
    Hand guns are evil and therefor have been erradicated in the UK, unless you are a criminal of course and then you can just pop down the pub and a bloke will sort you out for the right price.
    Leitimate, no chance. You'll have to move abroad.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

That'll be the Channel Islands then!

5. Don't feel bad. Most people in this country do not have clue what our firearms laws - including, it appears, most of the people that are currently calling for them to be 'toughened up'.

I'll give you an example. In 1997, when I told friends that due to the pistol ban I would have to hand most of my pistols in a lot of them were quite surprised saying things like: "Oh I didn't realise that it affected people like you. I thought that they were just banning the illegal ones. You know the ones that people don't have have licenses for." Now work that out! BTW, that quote is practically verbatim.

6. you could try a custom revolver with a 24 inch barrel, moon clips for the rimless 9mm, or something with a 12 inch barrel and a non-detachable shoulder stock??? I reckon if S&W did their 500 magnum in one of these configurations, it'd be a hot seller here...

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Section 7 does exist. HBSA enabled manny classics to be saved. If you have time, patience and a good bank manager then you can still shoot pistol calibres but not allegedly competitively!

8. Bollox! Thanks folks. I knew the laws were tight and oppressive but didn't realise just how narrow minded and stupid they had become. And it's made the UK such a safer place from guns too....

9. There is no "allegedly" about it I am afraid. We do not shoot competitively at all. No: ifs, buts or maybes.

Competitive pistol shooting in the UK is dead. Which was Bliar's Government's objective. (Under pressure from people who just "don't like guns".)

10. which adds up when you think about it: THAT'S why after Hungerford & Dunblane the Conservative governments of the day were able to make specific guns illegal whilst leaving the rest (theirs?) alone and keep most of the population happy. If the laymen were knowledgeable about UK firearms law, they would have seen it for the sop to the ignorant that it was.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Part of the study of classics under section 7 is about performance so by measuring groups and scores it becomes competitive. A bit like Top Gear doing a factual show on US muscle cars and not making it entertaining. You can stay within the rules and still keep a score!

12. I've also had someone say to me "oh, I thought the ban only applied to criminals, not to licensed club members"...

one of the more recent attempts in the US to get the silly "assault weapon laws" re-enacted at federal level got quietly dropped when one of the main proponents, on TV, couldn't tell the interviewer what a barrel shroud was. "I think it's a shoulder thing that goes up" was what she said, yet she was adamant that it was an evil feature and needed to be banned even though she did not know what it was, let alone what it does.

13. I really cannot agree with your conclusion: "it becomes competitive".. Do you shoot 7(3)?

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I used to. It was back when it started and was confined pretty much to Bisley. The cards were supposed to be hidden from each other or some other stupid rule. The NRA announced (this year I seem to remember) through the HBSA that score cards can be compared as part of the study. Lets see if your study is how accurate is the .455 auto in the 1911 as opposed to the .45 acp in the 1911 how can you not compare the cards?
    Silly rules that we live under but I didnt make them up.
    I sold all my section 7 1 and 3 to fund my stalking addiction. I certainly pay less, shoot more and no fecker in the NRA armoury steals my ammo!

15. You can shoot pistol in the UK but not in GB, pistols and pistol clubs are still legal here in NI, most clubs have GB membership where you can come over and shoot the club guns. Heading down tonight to make some holes in paper.