Laws, laws and yet more laws.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Awol, Nov 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Our Tony has decided in his wisdom that the 4000 news laws that he has already introduced (400% more than Maggie), and 1000 years of careful lawmaking isn't quite enough because lots of bad guys still roam the streets. So, instead of actually applying the gazillions of existing laws (which to be fair is quite difficult in practice, when you've allowed the nation to be holed below the waterline by Europe, and it upsets the wife), he has decided to bring in this little lot....

From the Queen's speech...

Tough on crime Tony? I'm sure PC Plod is going to be delighted with being pinned down with that little lot. Still, stops him ever going outdoors in the rain I suppose.
  2. Cracking quotein today's Indie referring to the compo payouts for crims having their' Class A's taken away.

"Is this a sign of New Labour being tough on crime, or the causes of crime"
  3. The thing is, it's not serious organised crime thats the problem in this county, it's the petty criminals, the ones that burgle your house or damage your car or mug your grandmother. These have much more effect on our daily lives than the men smuggling in polish prostitutes.

Probably the same ones that got the £3,000+ compo for having to go cold turkey in prison.

And people are only acting in this anti-social way because they can without proper punishment, they have been doing so all their lives, right from when they were kids, they've been left to do whatever the hell they wanted without consequence.
  4. Over-regulation by the state? Starting to wiff of fascism to me (except without the racist bit). Or perhaps they just have nothing better to do. This government has passed a new law for every day they've been in power.
  5. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

There is no racism in facism. Don't use a word if you don't know what it means!
  6. fascism [fash-iz-uhm] noun

1. (sometimes initial capital letter) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

7. Excuse me, but racism form a very big part of modern fascism. Things have moved on since the Roman magistrates.

I suggest you recant.
  8. Returning to the topic at hand, Ken Clarke made an interesting point on Radio 4 last night that we've got so many badly-drafted laws.

The point he didn't make is that, with laws as badly drafted as this, the lawyers make more money than performance artists in persuading Courts that their particular interpretation is correct. Ergo, a government of lawyers (some may say "cabal", but government is good enough here) is making work for lawyers.
  9. Very generic use to cover a range of authoritarian ideologies, parties and political systems may be easy but that means it also has to be a really sloppy term.

AFAIK there is not, any never has been, a widely agreed definition of precisely what it means to be "fascist".
  10. Yes there has. It is defined as 'authoritarian and totalitarian'.

Within that scope there is a wide range of other 'isms' which may or not occur, depending on the proponents of the ideology. Xenophobia and its resultant racism are a constant however.

It is as far from the original meaning as one can get, then again - isn't everything these days?
  11. Lashings of apologies for my 'sloppy' use of the English language Blogg I just hate the fact that you can't wipe your ass without local authority approval, and woe betide anyone who 'looks a bit sus' so is pinched to spend the next 28 days in confinement (if they can find space for you that is). Too controversial for this site? Perhaps.

Not to mention the poor b@stards in Revenues and Customs, who aren't allowed bananas or personal photos on their desks and are 'monitored' hourly. But that's a different matter. The whole bloody country is depressing me at the moment.
  12. Not controversial enough Milsum.