Lawrence of Arabia Miniseries

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Boumer, May 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Is Jarrod auditioning?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Born in Tremadog, he was a Welshman! I believe they will skip this part.
  3. He's going to be Lawrence's body double for the bits where he gets spanked by Turkish soldiers.
  4. You mean done up the ricker - which blighted his life thereafter
  5. Doesn't that honour belong to the Brough Superior Motorcycle company?
    • Like Like x 3
  6. IIRC he made it all up.
  7. But he might have helped them out when they were busy.

Loved a good beasting though. A PTI's dream.
  8. That bit of Seven Pillars of Wisdom may have been in 'for dramatic effect'.

I will be interested to see who they get to advise them historically, there are so many competing opinions on 'the truth' of what happened. And even more on the 'so what' of what it meant.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Will look forward to it, Lawrence was always a bit of a hero. My father used to take us out on trips to see the remains of the trains and tracks along the Hijaz Railway when we were sprogs - pretty awesome stuff when you're a kid.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Casting for the part of a semi-deranged dwarf out to be fun.

And the love scenes should be entertaining in the current climate, Arab boy or camel....
  11. Funnily enough, Lawrence comments on the poor quality of females available in the desert, and mentions that this is what causes the men to fool around with each other (or the camels). Although he clearly had a sort of domination fetish and an "artistic" type of personality, his writing doesn't give the impression of a homosexual man eyeing up the local talent.
  12. "his writing doesn't give the impression of a homosexual man eyeing up the local talent"

4(T), I think you are right. Over the years I have bought quite a few books on T E Lawrence and read "The Seven PillarsOf Wisdom" more than a few times. Most authors seem to be of the opinion that there was one love of his life who was with him during the archeology dig in present day Syria but that it may have been asexual as he could not bear being touched by another person. The flagellation was something else; it was human touch he couldn't bear.

As to the rape at Deera it may well have been contrived but it is certain that he was captured and tortured there. His book, in the versions that I have read, does not make it clear he was raped and his admission to it is somewhat confused in the biographies. Whatever happened there, he was a man under considerable stress who was, I believe, on the verge of a mental breakdown from the duplicitous situation that he found himself in. He knew of the Sykes-Picot agreement and of the conflict between the Foreign Office and Indian Office over the future of Arabia but was still having to promote Arab independence as a means to an end. He was not the same person after.

If the mini-series avoids the historical inaccuracies of the David Lean film then it may well be worth watching.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. He figures prominently in the book I am reading at the moment, James Barr's A Line in the Sand, he was a lot more politically savvy than I realised and was not overly impressed with Mark Sykes (of the Sykes-Picot agreement) who he considered more of a tourist than a traveller, and certainly not an expert on the region who also couldn't even speak Arabic.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. It's a shame given TE's staunch views on the French if you could just shave 20 years of yerman Farage he'd be ideal.
    • Like Like x 1