• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Lawrence Dallaglio volunteers to aid Help for Heroes

To fellow ARRSErs.

Thought you would be interest in this. Always good to see some sporting legends showing support for our boys:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/06/04/srdall104.xml

"This is going to be a great day in which rugby people can honour all our unsung British heroes in the Services from all the theatres of war, some of whom pay a terrible price for their country. "

The organisers, have set themselves the task of filling the stadium and raising well over £1 million to help fund a new swimming pool at the Hedley Court Rehabilitation Centre.

Brillaint idea if you ask me. :)

Peter

Quality day out by the sounds of it!

PM-88 said:
To fellow ARRSErs.

Thought you would be interest in this. Always good to see some sporting legends showing support for our boys:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/06/04/srdall104.xml

"This is going to be a great day in which rugby people can honour all our unsung British heroes in the Services from all the theatres of war, some of whom pay a terrible price for their country. "

The organisers, have set themselves the task of filling the stadium and raising well over £1 million to help fund a new swimming pool at the Hedley Court Rehabilitation Centre.

Brillaint idea if you ask me. :)

Peter
That’s a great idea and all good fortune to it.

One quibble though. It would be even better if the “English” team is not solely English but reflects the contributions by the Welsh, Irish, Scots and the many other peoples who serve/have served in HM Forces, so far as that is possible in 15 people plus reserves.

It should be one hell of a game.

I'm sure it'll be more of a 'Home Nations' XV than an English one. Arrse contingent sounds like a plan!

Hats off to LD and the supporters he has pulled in. "New Liabour" should hang their heads in shame at the prospect of such fundraising being necessary to overcome their lack of committment to the Forces they send away in their name!

Heres to a cracking afternoon's fundraising and a good day/night on the lash!

Lawrence - I salute you.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Dallaglio and Gibbs. Real sporting heroes. All those footballers can take a running jump.

Good lads that pair (and the other 30+ players).

Yes well done.

Well done to the unsung heroes also that are helping in any way they can....

".... fully backed by the RFU who have offered Twickenham free of charge with all their back-room staff all working for free"

Will be a great day out, with some great rugby, for a great cause. Looking forwards to seeing Gibbs back out on the park :)

Bossdog said:
Yes well done.

Well done to the unsung heroes also that are helping in any way they can....

".... fully backed by the RFU who have offered Twickenham free of charge with all their back-room staff all working for free"
Didn't notice the bold, fucking good on em.

Can't you just tell that Rugby is a squaddies game? Could you imagine the England kissball team and Wembley doing this?

Aunty Stella said:
Can't you just tell that Rugby is a squaddies game? Could you imagine the England kissball team and Wembley doing this?
In a word...

...no. :p

Shame really, after all football is the most popular sport in Britain, wouldn't be lacking in crowd attendance if they did do something like this. Could raise a tiny bit of cash... :roll:

oldbaldy

LE
ngland Team Manager and playing legend Martin Johnson CBE returns to competitive playing action, for one match only, when he plays in the Help for Heroes rugby challenge match at Twickenham Stadium on Saturday, September 20th. The aim of the match is to raise money to help the care and rehabilitation of injured British service personnel who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Johnson will line up alongside Captain Lawrence Dallaglio for the first time since 2003 to play for the Help for Heroes XV, managed by Phil de Glanville against an International XV managed by Ieuan Evans and Captained by Scott Gibbs.

Martin Johnson last played a competitive game as part of his testimonial farewell fixture against a Jonah Lomu XV at Twickenham Stadium just over three years ago. He said “I’ve kept myself fit and although I’ve played some one off charity rugby and football matches this will be the first and I’m sure the last time that I will play in a competitive match against some world class players.

“As soon as I was asked to play by Lawrence Dallaglio I didn’t hesitate to say yes. The cause is a superb one and anything the players and fans can do to raise money for care and the facilities to support our wounded service personnel at Selly Oak and Headley Court has to be worthwhile.

“Our target is to reach a sell out at Twickenham and to raise £1m for Help for Heroes so I urge everyone to do their bit, buy a ticket and enjoy a good day out for an excellent cause.”

Johnson played 84 times for England and led them to their RWC win in November 2003. He won Guinness Premiership titles and two Heineken Cups with Leicester Tigers and Captained the British & Irish Lions in 1997 and 2001.

Details of further players who will take part in the Help for Heroes match will be announced on Monday, July 14th.
http://www.rfu.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/RFUHome.News_Detail/StoryID/20346

Good for Jonno

Should be others being announced over the next few weeks - here's the latest!

Lomu on board for Help the Heroes match
15 July 2008, 2:23 pm
By WRU
Jonah Lomu is the latest all-time rugby great to pledge his allegiance to the Help For Heroes cause. The 33-year-old will fly in from New Zealand to play for the International Select XV at Twickenham Stadium on Saturday, 20 September.
Lomu was the youngest player to play for the All Blacks when he made his debut in 1994 at the age of 19 years and 45 days. He hit the world sporting headlines with four tries in New Zealand's Rugby World Cup semi-final triumph over England in 1995. He went on to equal John Kirwan's record of 63 appearances on the wing for the All Blacks and scored 37 tries before illness cut short his stunning career.
Lomu has been training regularly with the Auckland Warriors and is in good shape, and lighter than he has been for some time.

"As soon as I heard about the Help For Heroes cause, and the game, I knew it was something I wanted to be a part of. I can still remember coming to Wales to play in Ieuan Evans' Testimonial Game at Stradey Park and, of course, spending time more recently playing with Cardiff Blues," said Lomu.

"It will be great to team up with Scott Gibbs in the International Select XV back line and to have one more outing at Twickenham Stadium. There are some great names already signed up to this fixture and I'm really looking forward to being a part of it."

Lomu was regarded as the first true global superstar of the professional game and is still the all-time top try scorer at the Rugby World Cup finals with 15. In 2007 he became a member of the International Rugby Hall of Fame, along with Ieuan Evans.

"This is great news for the game and for the International Select XV. What a great opportunity Mums and Dads now have to take their children to Twickenham to see four of the greatest names of rugby union's professional era in action at the same time," said International Select XV Team Manager, Ieuan Evans.

"Lawrence Dallaglio, Martin Johnson, Scott Gibbs and Jonah Lomu would get into any World XV chosen over the past 15 years. They alone will be worth the price of admission on 20 September for what promises to be a highly competitive, and potentially bruising, occasion.

"I know I'm going to ensure that my children have got their autograph books with them at Twickenham on the day because if they can get those four to sign they will have a slice of rugby history to cherish for the rest of their lives."

Hungry_Wolf said:
"New Liabour" should hang their heads in shame at the prospect of such fundraising being necessary to overcome their lack of committment to the Forces they send away in their name!
Yes but....

Fundraising is part of what makes us British. It focusses the mind and keeps the civ div involved in what's going on in Iraq and Afghanistan... and fuck politicians (all of them are 1st rate wankers).

Well done Dallaglio... shame Twickers is harder to get to than Paris from here... but they get my support in spirit if not in person.

Why not, after the game send these 30+ blokes out in to London to "ask" for contributions. A couple of fecking massive lads asking the local chavs for some cash will raise a fair bit on its on, with Jona Lomu on board you can't even run off.

Sound idea that, well done to the RFU for offering Twickers for free.