Lawns

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I like looking after my lawn.

Gave it a first cut yesterday, just a trim, to coin a phrase.

I feed and weed it, and have learned the hard way that fallen leaves should be removed as they kill grass underneath.
I've previously scarified which looks scary but actually does the world of good.

Strangely satisfying.View attachment 457934

How do we know that's your lawn?

Show again with packet of cheese and onion poncey crisps.

Apocryphal lawn story told to me when I was working for an Oxford college:
Party of yank tourists being taken around the quad. One of them collars the groundsman, "Say, how do you get that grass looking so perfect?"
"Well, I mows it with a cylinder mower couple of times a week"
"I go round my lawns with my ride-on. twice a week all summer"
"Oi forks it to get some air down to the roots"
"Ah have a spring time aeriator that does that"
"I rakes it to get the thatch out".
"Ah do that but my yard doesn't look nearly this good."
"Well sorr, sounds like you are doing everything right, now you just keep doing it for another 350 years and I dare say it'll all come good."
Similar joke in “Astérix in Britain” about the British obsession with nice lawns.

Mrs R cut the lawn the other day. Clippings went out as normal in the garden waste bag this am. Not collected. Email from the council saying they are stopping garden waste collections due to Covid-19.
This despite putting the Council Tax up a whopping amount. The chiselling twats. May have to dump clippings in the road from now on, or grow a wildlife meadow.

wafubustard

War Hero
This is a thread about a lawn you lot have diverted to sheds.
Some bugger will be along soon and mention That Rifle and Deltics.

Oops.

Picked up the last one of these to breathe some life into my gardens, anticipating the lockdown.
Screenshot_20200321-000129.png

The front garden I pulled enough moss out to fill my brown wheelie bin.

Mrs R cut the lawn the other day. Clippings went out as normal in the garden waste bag this am. Not collected. Email from the council saying they are stopping garden waste collections due to Covid-19.
This despite putting the Council Tax up a whopping amount. The chiselling twats. May have to dump clippings in the road from now on, or grow a wildlife meadow.
My council has upped the cost of having the green bin emptied - it's more than doubled since the scheme started. This year, it's a price rise too far and I've decided not to renew. The wind can blow the grass clippings away.

Augustus

Old-Salt
I like looking after my lawn.

Gave it a first cut yesterday, just a trim, to coin a phrase.

I feed and weed it, and have learned the hard way that fallen leaves should be removed as they kill grass underneath.
I've previously scarified which looks scary but actually does the world of good.

Strangely satisfying.View attachment 457934
It looks very small. I presume you have another property in the country?

I'm environmentally friendly, we don't have lawns

We have just have a managed wild garden full of flowers, bees and wild life

tiv

War Hero
Decided it was time for the first cut of the year, some of the coarser grass is getting very long. You can see wher it was by the different shades of green. Leave it for a few days and, weather permitting, lower the cut and go over again.

Lawn Cut.jpg

holyphuc

Old-Salt
Has anyone got a robot lawn mower? I've just spent an hour and a half freezing my tits off sitting on the ride-on mower, the thought of sitting by the fire watching a robot do it is appealing.

Hells teeth Roadster, that a serious back garden you have there!
Thanks, it’s a work in progress :) By no means a “garden” yet. But we’ve not been moved in a year yet, and we’ve had a shitty time of it since we moved in, for other reasons (wife had a minor stroke, my dad died, my job went south and I changed jobs, wife got acute appendicitis, wife had some “womens’ business” surgery, so we’ve been struggling to get on our feet. It’s Spring now, and we’ve made some good strides. Looking forward to getting it looking better!

Latest Threads