law will forbid military personnel from refusing to serve...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rockape34, May 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

What definition of AWOL are they using? I was done for being AWOL and fined a weeks wages because the British Rail train staff had decided to go on strike. It was still my fault that I had not returned to camp by the allotted time. Legally perfectly correct but it is a fecking long way from Edinburgh to Tidworth during a train strike. My OC was full of sympathy - not!

If they are just counting the number of people who have been charged with being AWOL when it really means they are late back at work then the real picture may be slightly distorted.

2. that is what they are basing it on, not the 2800 or so who get charged with being AWOL every year.

so whilst the MOD is perfectly correct in saying that AWOL figures have remained pretty much constant despite Iraq... the above figures show that a massively increasing number are not coming back i.e. doing a proper runner, not just being late.

be interesting to know how many of those had been warned off for deployment.

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

But surely if you have been warned off for deployment overseas (not necessarily on operations) the charge then becomes desertion, not AWOL.

4. dunno, never done it :)

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Used to be that a charge of Desertion was generally not used until a bod has been away for more than two years and was caught. Something to do with this being a reasonable period to prove he really wasn't coming back.

I don't know what the % of this charge against AWOL being used at Courts Martial has been since TELIC kicked off. Anyone from the APA out there who could tell us?

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

That nearly happened to me as well.While returning to Kinloss from leave in Belfast,The flight was cancelled & instead of flying direct from Belfast int to Glasgow,We flew to London & THEN to Glasgow,but by then I'd missed my connecting flight to Inverness.The Airline offered to put mup for the night in a hotel but when I explained why I needed to be at camp by 0800 the next day,They stuck on a taxi to take me back to camp!

7. “Law will forbid soldiers from refusing to serve” ??? At what point did we get a choice?

Did I miss a parade when they said “all those who do not want to go step forward.”

Is this another headline grabbing bit of rubbish put out by our great and glorious leader?

8. I have to agree with offog here as in when did we get the choice if we would serve or not. At the end of the day we signed a bit of paper, in which we agreed with the government, we would go wherever they sent us for sh1te wages, and do a professional job, until such times as we make it to our 22 year point or sign off on another bit of paper telling them they can ram their sh1te wages up their arrses.

I am off out to Iraq at the end of the year, and I can tell you now that, in view of the recent activity out there I am not looking forward to going, but at the end of the day it is what I get paid for, and along with the rest of my colleagues, we will do the best job we can.

News grabbing headlines like this simply undermine everything we are trying to achieve out there, and dare I say it these headlines, make us look like frightened fools in the eyes of our civilian counterparts. And I would imagine make the guys out in places where they are grafting their arrses off and taking risks everyday, feel just a tad pissed off and possibly neglected, due to the emphasis on this sh1te.

9. I thought it was true what Auld-Yin said, the offence changed to Desertion, I'm also pretty sure the punishment for Desertion is still the same as WW1, which involves a wall, blindfold and a last cigarette!! Although, I'm sure H&SAW will have put a change to that too!

10. Well Said

Priam

11. Yeah they will make sure the blindfold, is non allergenic, and the ciggie will be binned due to the smoking in public places law.

12. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

No - when I was Adjt in the 90's, the death penalty could be applied to three charges only and of course only with ministerial consent

1. Desertion in the face of the Enemy
    2. High Treason
    3. Arson in a Naval Dockyard

Last one I got to read out to a scrot (who had a liking for fire - think he tried to burn down one of the blocks too but we couldn't prove it) who had burnt out the Comdt's house at Rosyth - he near soiled himself.

First time I ever had someone thankful that the case was to be handed across to the civil police.

13. Have to agree with previous comments, since when did deployment become an issue that could be democratically voted on by servants of HM the Q?

I remember well the words of an old SSM, "We are paid to fcuking defend democracy, not fcuking practice it"

Never a truer word