Law Enforcement in the Peoples "Republic" of China

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jumpinjarhead, Jul 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just one correction, the news report stated she was off duty, not 'undercover'.

Jingcha aren't shy about using their firearms if they can't talk the perp down.

2. There not too shabby either! (I bet he's unlikely to re offend)!

3. Another news report (taken from a bulletin board called Youku).

Note the round of applause from the assembled audience.

4. I wonder how long she was suspended from duty while(st) the internal affairs squad investigated the shooting? In America, especially if the perp was a minority, the cop would be on tinterhooks for the follow up shots.

5. Are you saying it's a good thing to be investigated thoroughly after a shooting or that it's a waste of time?

6. I think it is a good thing but not with a presumption the cop did something wrong.

7. I think it is a good thing but not with a presumption the cop did something wrong. My point (tongue in cheek) about the Chinese situation was that under a totalitarian regime there will be no investigation.

8. Not for long would be my guess. The incident's being dissected on the internet and nowhere so thoroughly than blogs from westerners in China. Oddly, Chinese internet opinion seems to be as finely divided as on a western board which is strange because the aftermath of shooting a perp is normally one of the few time the police don't get pelters.

9. I think it's also much less likely to happen in a developing nation, whatever their system of government. With increasing international importance of China it's easy to forget that their per capita GDP is about 1/15th of that of the U.S

10. It seems easier to forget that it is a totalitarian and brutal regime.

11. The PRC lacks some of the defining characteristics of a totalitarian regime. Authoritarian, definitely. Totalitarian, no.

There normally are investigations but they're conducted behind closed doors and without outside scrutiny - in stark contrast to the actual events, as we saw from the closeness of the camera team.

12. We differ then.

13. Just do not try to odge a formal petition of complaint

Chinese police beat official's wife by mistake

"Chinese commentators have called for better treatment of petitioners after police beat the wife of a high-ranking law enforcement official, reportedly mistaking her for a complainant.

According to Chinese media, the party chief of the local police bureau told her afterwards: "This incident is a total misunderstanding. Our police officers never realised that they beat the wife of a senior leader."

The comment sparked outrage, with one person reportedly responding: "Does it mean the police are not supposed to beat leaders' wives, but that the ordinary people can be battered?"

Chen Yulian, from Hubei province in central China, was knocked to the ground and beaten for more than 15 minutes by plain-clothed officers, a report in the Southern Metropolis Daily said. The 58-year-old had been trying to enter a provincial office building in Wuhan to meet an official.

The paper said six unidentified men rushed out of the gate and began pummelling her. They were later identified as public security officers who had allegedly been assigned to "subdue" petitioners."

Chinese police beat official's wife by mistake | World news | guardian.co.uk

14. Fair enough, what's your definition of totalitarian?