Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laurence Fox - Political ambitions

There have been a limited number of chances for a political party to break the mould and all have failed.

The Social Democratic Party was a split off from Labour in 1981 that thought Labour was too left wing. They failed to make much of an impact and eventually merged with the then Liberal party to form the Liberal Democrats we know and love today. Who are not exactly making an impact themselves.

They've lost their way over Brexit failing to appear either liberal or democratic

No - Farage is distrusted by too many people.

I wonder has he (Fox) taken much of an interest in things like philosophy, as I have listened to some of the things he says as similar to the late Sir Roger Scruton.

The questions I would ask of future politicians is whether or not they have integrity, can they listen to others, and can they accept that they are sometimes wrong.
Or as the BBC call it a humiliating U-Turn

Yokel

LE
Or as the BBC call it a humiliating U-Turn

That is the problem with politicians. They are so invested in their ideas to ignore the possibility that they might be wrong. Their ability to listen to anyone not totally aligned with their policies is very limited. Like walking with your eyes shut and wondering why you stray from a straight line, this is the problem caused by political cliques.

Yes your right that the House of Commons is about power. I rather think that the it is not so much the end result of politics as practised today that needs questioning but rather, one of not just who rules but how much rule is on the collective rather than the individual.

I suggest that some in this thread are perhaps looking at a posh boy thespian, 'Laurence Fox' as a political animal wanting to get in the game. Rather than as a possible catalyst for wider society, too rather consider 'what is the job and responsibility of Government, and perhaps that is a fundamental that needs to looked at and figure out.

It's a long overdue question, and to some degree from what I have watched and listened to 'Laurence Fox's' musings. Something he is talking about, is not in the burn it down and start again but rather we as individuals should think about what is the "job and responsibility of Government", equally as much as we think about 'Manifesto Politics' come election time.

Personally I think we all to some degree or another and for a multitude of reason both good and bad society does expect to much of government and its ability to solve and fix everything, by legislative measures.

We do need the system we have today too work. While it is imperfect, it's also reasonable and functions to provide fair and legal governance. It is not the system that is fundamentally at fault rather the calibre of those in the political class within that are weak and rubbish, which is the problem.

However we have got the calibre of political class we perhaps deserve, because over the years society writ large has to some degree abdicated its responsibility to engage politically. If 'Laurence Fox' doing something politically raises debate and some thinking outside of the chattering classes, I see that as a win.

Despite being a 'posh boy thespian,' while that will be used against him by his opponents, what he says is I believe resonating with many across the varying social classes, and that he is not screeching or trying to blame everyone for everything is also resonating across the varying social classes. He has yet to claim he has the answer also, rather that it's time to at least put one foot forward and talk about it.

That is enough for me to express and interest in giving some support towards that. It is important to understand also that there are many voices of note but with less of a wider and broader mainstream audience. That they have been saying much the same and for much longer, 'Laurence Fox' has without design somewhat sparked interest and engagement amongst the less politicly engaged and sometimes silenced wider society.
We have very low levels of trust in politicians and almost zero trust in the media..... So anytime someone speaks a truth, or even somewhat of the truth, we tend to sit up and listen and so long as Fox sticks to that, he could be the man to replace Farage and we have a crying need for a replacement.

That is the problem with politicians. They are so invested in their ideas to ignore the possibility that they might be wrong. Their ability to listen to anyone not totally aligned with their policies is very limited. Like walking with your eyes shut and wondering why you stray from a straight line, this is the problem caused by political cliques.
If you have your eyes shut, how do you know that you strayed from the straight line?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Actually, @ExREME.TECH has a point. The media are all over any 'weakness', especially those of whomever they see as the 'opposition' - so the Tories, in the case of the BBC.

There's no objectivity, just an opportunity to attack.

Tail is therefore wagging the dog. Setting the agenda rather than reporting it, and all that.

(Whilst professing surprised ignorance once accused of it...)

Actually, @ExREME.TECH has a point. The media are all over any 'weakness', especially those of whomever they see as the 'opposition' - so the Tories, in the case of the BBC.

There's no objectivity, just an opportunity to attack.

Tail is therefore wagging the dog. Setting the agenda rather than reporting it, and all that.

(Whilst professing surprised ignorance once accused of it...)
One only needed to look at the PMs illness and then post-covid recovery to see evidence the media were hopeful of a new direction from government and the constant targetting of Cummings is a similar example of trying to pick off his support structure, having failed to undermine the PM.

Religion or anything else, which sets someone apart from the modern morality of woke/virtue signalling is suspect and I mean suspect/guilty, until proven innocent and the conservatives weakness on BLM and other instances show the party trying to adhere to the woke standards to avoid the stage managed attacks.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
One only needed to look at the PMs illness and then post-covid recovery to see evidence the media were hopeful of a new direction from government and the constant targetting of Cummings is a similar example of trying to pick off his support structure, having failed to undermine the PM.

Religion or anything else, which sets someone apart from the modern morality of woke/virtue signalling is suspect and I mean suspect/guilty, until proven innocent and the conservatives weakness on BLM and other instances show the party trying to adhere to the woke standards to avoid the stage managed attacks.
Cummings was about stopping Brexit.

Cummings was about stopping Brexit.
I think it goes beyond that to the culture created you could call it the 'woke standard', which is a list of attitudes and opinions, which are acceptable and treated like unofficial laws and more recently started to become laws in terms of speech.

Brexit of course was a direction not taken from the correct starting position i.e. driven by the woke illuminated ones and as such was neo-fascist in origin and quite rightly the good woke police have been searching for any means to overturn it, from the law to wrecking a US trade deal.

Last edited:
Seems I missed another new Party. The Heritage Party - David Kurten ex UKIP MEP

Sargon discusses...

I think there is a groundswell of opinion that "we" the British have had enough, of seeing our history rubbished our nation rubbished and our collective character impugned and accused of (insert buzzword bingo).

This is made worse that it is by a tiny group of no-nothing communistic authoritarian morons, who I doubt have ever done a hard days graft in their lives.

There is of course a silver lining to every cloud, That is for me a resurgence in political awareness, of the none screechy type that is embracing an attachment to ideological cores that all embrace to some degree or another the worth of the nation state and that its history and character is as important as GDP, and perhaps even more so.

As i have said before most think that the political and parliamentary system we have is fundamentally sound but is in sore need of more decent politicians, rather than some of the sorry shower that decades of University PPE, has produced.

David Kurten's 'Heritage Party' is another potential party I will keep an eye on, that it perhaps will bring about some more pressure on the main parties to worry about being seen to represent the wider national interests, not just the screechers, be they pressure groups, lobbyists and other useful idiots.

That is not to say that everything will turn around and be fixed in short order, we have to remember that we are looking at perhaps nearly 50 years of some in the political and media classes have been knocking 'Vases to the floor' while it only takes seconds to break a vase it does take hours too fix.

From a personal view point I blame Ted Heath for much of this, by taking us into the common market he began the relegation of parliament to a being no more than some dysfunctional county council, but you can added John Major and Tony Blair as fcuking tosspot no nothing who allowed and encouraged things to rot.

Yokel

LE
If you have your eyes shut, how do you know that you strayed from the straight line?

When you fall down the stairs or Into the path of on oncoming vehicle, or open then up again after x places. But if you look at the ground behind you and there is a nice straight line. Just like a tunnelling machine using a laser.

The trouble is the politicians and underlings do often have their eyes closed, fingers in their eyes, and only listen to a selected clique.

Which raises an interesting question; are the likes of Corbyn, Abbott, Butler, Burgon, Long-Bailey and all the rest actually aware that their views are so blinkered as to not strike a chord in any way whatsoever with anyone outside of their coterie?

Most of them have at some point had the odd lucid moment if we are honest about it, however fleeting and however unconventional to Arrse wisdom, and by extension, the views of quite a sizeable chunk of the population that thought may be. Are they really so stupid as to not realise that if they did a bit more lucidity and a bit less fuckwittery then they might actually get somewhere or are they so hopelessly bound up in their own rhetoric and years of dogmatic adherence to principle that they can see but are unable to change the cassette?

In short, if you open your eyes and see you’ve stepped off a line and the effect of doing so is positive, why step back onto it and close your eyes again?

Which raises an interesting question; are the likes of Corbyn, Abbott, Butler, Burgon, Long-Bailey and all the rest actually aware that their views are so blinkered as to not strike a chord in any way whatsoever with anyone outside of their coterie?

I suspect they're aware of such, but just as one allows the ticking of a clock to fade into the background, they "background" dissenting views and ideologies.

Latest Threads