Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laurence Fox - Political ambitions

Jesus, there are people out there who actually want us to vote for communism !

Just look at Arrse, there are plenty of Remainers on here who want a EUSSR

Given the way the current government is going, I have a feeling that the Red Wall Tory MPs who actually fancy their chances of getting re-elected next time must be looking at the festerclack that is the current Tory Party leadership and wondering whether it's time to form their own party.

A party that appeals to their voters on the bread and butter issues that they naively believed being a "conservative" meant, and one which preferably doesn't have an old Etonian in charge this time around thank you very muchly.

That's all very worthy, but if they do that we get a Labour government

Now, one of Nigels new reform party ideas is based on getting PR through. That is a complete non starter for this c/s, so I'd have to vote elsewhere.
Agreed. They need to be careful what they wish for - does Nigel really want to end up with a German style Parliament, unable to form a majority Government and in hock to the likes of the Green Party?
All you need to know is Nick Clegg, Ed Davey, Caroline Lucas, Anna Soubry, Layla Moran and Jo Swinson are supporters of PR.
As for the subject of this thread, I have to admit I am a fan of his, but I'm not a fan of 'Personality Cult' Political Parties. Remember how it went for Chukka Ummuna, who believed himself to be the next messiah? Anyone know what he is up to at the moment and more to the point, does anyone care?
Mr Fox would be better off continuing with his articulate, considered statements - expertly filleting and dismantling the woke point of view.

Last edited:

Bob65

War Hero
Agreed. They need to be careful what they wish for - does Nigel really want to end up with a German style Parliament, unable to form a majority Government and in hock to the likes of the Green Party?
All you need to know is Nick Clegg, Ed Davey, Caroline Lucas, Anna Soubry, Layla Moran and Jo Swinson are supporters of PR.

Where he is coming from there is that UKIP got 4M votes in 2015 and 1 MP, whereas the SNP got 1.4M and 56 MPs. I don't agree with PR for the reasons you state, but it's understandable that Farage feels FPTP doesn't reflect the popular vote.

I wonder if Laurence will pick up on this, when white male privilege is brought up

Among state school youngsters not on free school meals, 45% go on to higher education by the age of 19. Those more disadvantaged students, eligible for free school meals, have a lower entry rate of 26%.

But for "male, white British, free school meals" pupils, the figure is 13% - even lower than the year before, and to put it in context, it's below "looked after" children who have been in council care and far below those speaking English as a second language.

Coastal towns often have lower rates of young people going to university

This figure of 13% is stuck in another era compared with the success stories of other groups, such as black students, with 59% progressing to higher education, and 64% of Asian students.

For sixth formers in independent schools, 85% make the step forward into higher education.

Where he is coming from there is that UKIP got 4M votes in 2015 and 1 MP, whereas the SNP got 1.4M and 56 MPs. I don't agree with PR for the reasons you state, but it's understandable that Farage feels FPTP doesn't reflect the popular vote.
I absolutely get that, but opening the door to PR doesn't necessarily get him the result he craves. For every UKIP (or whatever new Party he creates) seat achieved through PR, there is the likelihood that an anti seat will be delivered at the same time (Green, Lib Dem, Nationalist).

That's all very worthy, but if they do that we get a Labour government
Well the Tory high command needs to start taking notice, they have another four years to prevent Labour overthrowing that whopping great 80-seat majority, a majority that the Tories borrowed from Labour and Labour are rather keen to get it back. Starmer's babes just passed the Tories in the opinion polls today.

So what's it to be chaps, do you want to hold on to those new Northern working class Tory voters or not? If not just keep on doing exactly what you're doing and they'll all be gone by the middle of next year.

Yokel

LE
There is more to this than chasing votes. The time has come to have an honest debate over these issues without anyone immediately being shouted down. There are many YouTube videos in which he speaks on social issues, and talks of knowing people from all walks of life. He mentions that one of his close friends is a Prison Officer with left wing views.

I admire the blokes courage in making his principles known in the current climate. I do think he has a serious challenge on his hands however if he believes that will be able to take the ground currently dominated in the digital media by those who enjoy causing unrest or division.

They won’t yield it easily but good on him for trying.

Yet, we recently had a thread based on WWCY (White Working Class Youth), not being particular Right wing in anyway ,rejecting the woke culture.

As, I've often said, I blame Harry Fecking Potter, making it seem fashionable , even acceptable, to be a Speccy Nerd.

Bring back the Bash Street Kids and Dennis the Menace .. make them the true British Heroes again

There is more to this than chasing votes. The time has come to have an honest debate over these issues without anyone immediately being shouted down. There are many YouTube videos in which he speaks on social issues, and talks of knowing people from all walks of life. He mentions that one of his close friends is a Prison Officer with left wing views.

Calling H20

endure

GCM
I think Nigel would be the first to say his time has passed but I think some bloke, or indeed lady, with a distinctive ee bah gum accent

Anywhere but Yorkshire! I'd like to see a PM with a really pronounced Geordie accent at the dispatch box. The Beeb would have to do subtitles.

Polyester

War Hero
Yet, we recently had a thread based on WWCY (White Working Class Youth), not being particular Right wing in anyway ,rejecting the woke culture.

As, I've often said, I blame Harry Fecking Potter, making it seem fashionable , even acceptable, to be a Speccy Nerd.

Bring back the Bash Street Kids and Dennis the Menace .. make them the true British Heroes again
I loved the bash street kids. Later on I worked with a bloke who looked like plug.

I wish him well.

The silent majority need to roar and take back the direction of the country - anyone is welcome to stay and join, but singing to the same tune. Don't know the words? Learn them or find somewhere else.

I loved the bash street kids. Later on I worked with a bloke who looked like plug.
Hideously white.
Capture.JPG

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I think you are reading it all wrong. Obviously he has something to say, and he is rightly justified in the way he has been treated by the woke brigade to actually stand up and say something. All credit to him for doing so.

However, just in the several paragraphs on the front page of the link he is not saying anything that is widely divisive, abusive or any of the list of "ists" and "isms" that light the fuse that will trigger a wave of vitriol. I don't believe he seriously sees himself as a threat to Boris, but having seen him talk about a number of points since his QT appearance I reckon he is having a bit of a giraffe and seeing how far he can go. If there is a wave of support for him and he gets shouted down by the other side he can say "well I'm not the only one saying this, all these people appear to have similar opinions".
Not spouting anything divisive won't stop him being accused of being XRW - purely by virtue of him not agreeing wholeheartedly with the Woke.

That's been his point several times over: any disagreement with the hysterical leads to vilification - no matter how mild, or reasonable, the disagreement.

Latest Threads