Laurence Fox - Political ambitions

Awol

LE
I rather think he'd be better off suing the Times for unfair dismissal (sacked for fabricating a quote). Perhaps he should have sued Michael Howard, when he was sacked from the Shadow Cabinet for lying in public about not having an affair with Petronella Wyatt. He had his chance, and strangely he didn't take it.

It's not libel if it's the truth, I'm afraid.
Go ahead then, say so publicly. Your local paper will do.

And would you rather have the sainted Jeremy or the utter clown that is Starmer..................

I think not. He's not infallible but he gets my vote and enough votes to give him an 80 seat majority.
I agree. No way was Magic Grandad fit for PM, and I'm unconvinced that Starmer isn't his generation's Kinnock - the nightwatchman between the loonies, and an electable leader.

It doesn't make Johnson truthful, though - just the least bad option.

Go ahead then, say so publicly. Your local paper will do.

Out of curiosity - are you insisting that he:
  • Wasn't sacked twice, he left the Times and the Shadow Cabinet of his own free will
  • Was sacked from the Times and the Shadow Cabinet, but not for telling lies
  • May well have been sacked twice for lying, but that don't count, you can't prove nuffink, Copper, he is innocent because da Feds ain't convicted him?
Just wondering...

Awol

LE
Out of curiosity - are you insisting that he:
  • Wasn't sacked twice, he left the Times and the Shadow Cabinet of his own free will
  • Was sacked from the Times and the Shadow Cabinet, but not for telling lies
  • May well have been sacked twice for lying, but that don't count, you can't prove nuffink, Copper, he is innocent because da Feds ain't convicted him?
Just wondering...
You do seem awfully reluctant to, literally, put your money where your (conveniently anonymous), mouth is.

Awol

LE
And would you rather have the sainted Jeremy or the utter clown that is Starmer..................

I think not. He's not infallible but he gets my vote and enough votes to give him an 80 seat majority.
He has also, in unprecedented conditions, led the most effective fightback against Covid on the planet.

Yokel

LE

He has certainly done himself no favours by pinning his colours to the 'ignore the pandemic - damn the death rate' lobby. I cannot get my head around why some people think spreading a virus needlessly is liberty. Prior to that I paid attention to Laurence Fox and even signed up to his mailing list. Not any more.

Compared to him, Boris Johnson seems like a rocket scientist.

When you allow Boris the courtesy of publicly defending your libellous accusations that he’s a liar in a court of law, get back to me.

Agreed. It is, though, a matter of record that he was dismissed from his Shadow post (not sure it was a cabinet role at the time, though) for lying about his private life. He’s never denied that his dismissal of the allegations about an affair as ‘an inverted pyramid of piffle’ wasn’t an entirely accurate reflection of events..

The coverage at the time - from left and right of the press spectrum - was that he’d lied to Michael Howard, who was furious to discover that Boris was, indeed, having an affair having assured him he wasn’t.

Howard has said subsequently (I think during the 2019 leadership contest) that Boris in fact fobbed off the party director of communications, who then told Howard that he was certain that Boris was lying, and that something had to be done about it as a matter of urgency as the story was going to run and run otherwise.

Lord Wyatt then claimed that not only had his daughter had an affair with Boris, but had an abortion as well (there being no doubt Boris was the father), which seemed to confirm that Boris’s undergarments were not so much on fire as at the heart of a raging conflagration Red Adair would’ve found a challenge to extinguish. Lady Wyatt also confirmed the affair (and hinted that Boris was a bit of a bounder, saying her daughter was distraught about her treatment).

Boris was given the opportunity to resign, but said he’d rather be sacked as he felt that his private life was just that - private - and not the business of anyone else. Howard demurred, since Boris’s remarks on the matter had at the very least given the impression of a denial, and even the Mail had printed it as such.

In outlining all this, Howard said that he had subsequently wondered whether he’d done the right thing

The Guardian (with a hint of melancholy, remarkably) wrote at the time (2004)

The episode brings an end to an unlikely but uniquely engaging political career.​

I wonder how that’s working out for them?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I mean, would you believe any statistics from the nation that brought this plague on the world - and is still trying to cover it up ?
Trump's no longer the president.

Could I suggest you read his book, The Dream of Rome'2006.
Not too many big words so you'll probably understand it.
Why would anyone bother when there are literally libraries full of better researched and written accounts of the same topic?

That is probably an unanswerable question.

I mean, would you believe any statistics from the nation that brought this plague on the world - and is still trying to cover it up ?
It's not unanswerable at all. Plenty of daily updated stats are available that encompass the world. It's then not particularly hard to look at them and make a judgement as to whether China's stats can be discounted, (I lean towards that they can) and where that would subsequently leave other nations in the tables.

Again no substance to the view middle England are being demonised, just the thoughts of some very insecure people, Toby young, who has pretty much deleted all his lockdown posts from last year, Hitchens who is worse than Owen Jones, Show me where I’ve been demonised in the press, a 46 year old white male.
I thought you were black?

I agree. No way was Magic Grandad fit for PM, and I'm unconvinced that Starmer isn't his generation's Kinnock - the nightwatchman between the loonies, and an electable leader.

It doesn't make Johnson truthful, though - just the least bad option.

Starmer is just as left wing as Corbyn, just with the veneer of a dull man in a suit

Agreed. It is, though, a matter of record that he was dismissed from his Shadow post (not sure it was a cabinet role at the time, though) for lying about his private life. He’s never denied that his dismissal of the allegations about an affair as ‘an inverted pyramid of piffle’ wasn’t an entirely accurate reflection of events..

The coverage at the time - from left and right of the press spectrum - was that he’d lied to Michael Howard, who was furious to discover that Boris was, indeed, having an affair having assured him he wasn’t.

Howard has said subsequently (I think during the 2019 leadership contest) that Boris in fact fobbed off the party director of communications, who then told Howard that he was certain that Boris was lying, and that something had to be done about it as a matter of urgency as the story was going to run and run otherwise.

Lord Wyatt then claimed that not only had his daughter had an affair with Boris, but had an abortion as well (there being no doubt Boris was the father), which seemed to confirm that Boris’s undergarments were not so much on fire as at the heart of a raging conflagration Red Adair would’ve found a challenge to extinguish. Lady Wyatt also confirmed the affair (and hinted that Boris was a bit of a bounder, saying her daughter was distraught about her treatment).

Boris was given the opportunity to resign, but said he’d rather be sacked as he felt that his private life was just that - private - and not the business of anyone else. Howard demurred, since Boris’s remarks on the matter had at the very least given the impression of a denial, and even the Mail had printed it as such.

In outlining all this, Howard said that he had subsequently wondered whether he’d done the right thing

The episode brings an end to an unlikely but uniquely engaging political career.​

Michael Howard as in Michael "Did you threaten to overule him" Howard, he was never economic with the actualité either

He has certainly done himself no favours by pinning his colours to the 'ignore the pandemic - damn the death rate' lobby. I cannot get my head around why some people think spreading a virus needlessly is liberty. Prior to that I paid attention to Laurence Fox and even signed up to his mailing list. Not any more.

Compared to him, Boris Johnson seems like a rocket scientist.
Another Rocket Scientist I've lost faith in; despite showing up the Woquerie for what they really are, Bret Weinstein seems to have gone off the edge, too. Covid and vaccine must skew the faculties.

Awol

LE

Genuine question, do you have the current world vaccination rates and current world infections rates handy to post to back that up?
It’s probably reckless, but I am going by what the BBC said on TV about a month ago. The slimy left wing scumbags grudgingly showed a map that showed the reduction in Covid cases worldwide and whereas Europe and the USA, (I won’t be crass enough to mention the other 9/10th of the world that are now disintegrating, whether they admit it or not) were admitting to many tens of thousands of new cases everyday, our figure was tiny. I don’t pretend to remember the actual figure, but the number of deaths was under twenty for quite a while.

Then, suddenly of course there was the the Indian variant, and despite being a banner waving fan of Boris, I’m the first to admit that he f***ed up for three days and despite the overwhelming scientific evidence that lots and lots of them were more infectious than rabid dogs with Typhoid, he continued to let them in, when they should have been barred immediately.

Latest Threads