Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laurence Fox - Political ambitions

The trouble with these upstarts, and I include Lord Sir Nigel of Farage's new intended party whatever he might call it, is it provides too many claims in too little a time. Brexit wasn't something the people just plucked out of their arse, it's been around a long time and it was a good tool which I actually contributed to financially, and it would not have succeeded at the ballot box to gain enough controlling seats all by itself.
Now, one of Nigels new reform party ideas is based on getting PR through. That is a complete non starter for this c/s, so I'd have to vote elsewhere.
I don't believe the Brexit vote has gone away, by any means, I also believe that people are labouring under a false premise if they think they can turn that vote into something that fits their view of the world. Once Brexit is delivered, people will start voting for how they think the country should be shaped.
What worries me is who is going to shape it with the media mistrust and misinformation we have today.
Jesus, there are people out there who actually want us to vote for communism !

Yokel

LE
He needs to get on board with Nigel Farage to really make a difference.

No - Farage is distrusted by too many people.

I wonder has he (Fox) taken much of an interest in things like philosophy, as I have listened to some of the things he says as similar to the late Sir Roger Scruton.

The questions I would ask of future politicians is whether or not they have integrity, can they listen to others, and can they accept that they are sometimes wrong.

I think you are reading it all wrong. Obviously he has something to say, and he is rightly justified in the way he has been treated by the woke brigade to actually stand up and say something. All credit to him for doing so.

However, just in the several paragraphs on the front page of the link he is not saying anything that is widely divisive, abusive or any of the list of "ists" and "isms" that light the fuse that will trigger a wave of vitriol. I don't believe he seriously sees himself as a threat to Boris, but having seen him talk about a number of points since his QT appearance I reckon he is having a bit of a giraffe and seeing how far he can go. If there is a wave of support for him and he gets shouted down by the other side he can say "well I'm not the only one saying this, all these people appear to have similar opinions".

Given the way the current government is going, I have a feeling that the Red Wall Tory MPs who actually fancy their chances of getting re-elected next time must be looking at the festerclack that is the current Tory Party leadership and wondering whether it's time to form their own party.

A party that appeals to their voters on the bread and butter issues that they naively believed being a "conservative" meant, and one which preferably doesn't have an old Etonian in charge this time around thank you very muchly.

You mean Nigel Farage?
I think Nigel would be the first to say his time has passed but I think some bloke, or indeed lady, with a distinctive ee bah gum accent is what is required for the foreseeable future, we've had 20 Old Etonian PMs, and God knows how many Oxbridge debating champions, it's time to give someone else a shot for a while.

I think Nigel would be the first to say his time has passed but I think some bloke, or indeed lady, with a distinctive ee bah gum accent is what is required for the foreseeable future, we've had 20 Old Etonian PMs, and God knows how many Oxbridge debating champions, it's time to give someone else a shot for a while.
Nigel is the same age as Boris and has as many former wives and kids.

it's time to give someone else a shot for a while.

Quite agree

Every Monday morning at 1100hrs, until the message sinks in that the Political gravytrain has ended, they get their noses to the grindstone and start working for the benefit of the people and the Country ( All 4 Nations )

Not working on producing hot air, not working on enriching their families and certainly not working on ever increasing inventiveness in claiming expenses.

Never having heard of the individual in the OP ( google tells me that he is an actor / musician ) I doubt he will make much of a political impact.

No - Farage is distrusted by too many people.

I wonder has he (Fox) taken much of an interest in things like philosophy, as I have listened to some of the things he says as similar to the late Sir Roger Scruton.

The questions I would ask of future politicians is whether or not they have integrity, can they listen to others, and can they accept that they are sometimes wrong.

Spot on. I’d add “and can accept that sometimes the other guy is right”.

Politics today seems to consist largely of screaming “bollocks” at any opponent’s utterances simply because they were uttered by an opponent. The fact that said utterance might actually be a bloody good idea gets ignored.

I quite rate him despite my ignorance of his agendas, for just one reason.

We need a popular disrupter of mainstream politics.
As we all know, they "Don't like it up 'em Sah"

Latest Threads