LATHEY, Keith - MMM, CD, RCAF, Ret., OPP, Ret. - Passed

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Aug 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

LATHEY, Keith - MMM, CD, RCAF, Ret., OPP, Ret. - Passed . . .

August 24, 2007

(Aug 24, 2007) -- LATHEY, Keith - MMM, CD, RCAF, Ret., OPP, Ret. - Passed away, suddenly, August 20, 2007, at the age of 79.

Survived by his wife of 58 years, Faye (Wellman); sons, Rob of Kitchener, Geoff (Jude) of Christchurch, New Zealand and Chris (Lynn) of Kitchener; brother, Jack (Bernice) of Kanata; sister, Marlene (Laurie) of Edmonton; step-mother, Florence Slavinski of Langley, B.C.; grandchildren, Adrian and Shannon.

Keith served 29 years with the RCAF as an Armourer and Explosive Disposal Unit expert. He was stationed at various locations in Canada and front line Cold War Fighter bases in Europe. His last millitary posting was at the Department of National Defence Head Quarters, where he was responsible for establishing standards for Bomb Disposal teams for the entire Canadian Military. He was one of the first to be inducted as a recipient of the Order of Military Merit.

Following his retirement from the Armed Services, Keith joined the O.P.P. for 13 years, as co-ordinator of Explosives Disposal for the Province of Ontario. He was one of the original members of the I.A.B.T.I. (International Association of Bomb Technicians and Investigators). The I.A.B.T.I. granted him one of the first and few Life Time Memberships in the Association.

Despite fighting a courageous battle with ALS, Keith never lost his wit and full sense of humour. Keith's passion and knowledge of classical music was illustrated by his extensive collection of CD's. He will be sadly missed for his jokes, spontaneous poems, and his caring and compassionate nature. His multitude of feathered friends will miss him at the bird feeders.

Family and friends will be received at Westmount Funeral Chapel, at 10 a.m. on Saturday, August 25 followed by the funeral service at 11 a.m. Following the service there will be a reception downstairs at Westmount Funeral Chapel. As expression of sympathy, donations can be made to the ALS Society and the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario. Cards are available at the funeral home. Cremation has taken place.

RIP Keith, You'll be missed!